71-686 beta taken

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Well just taken the 71-686 beta exam, and this is my experience without breaking the NDA:

Total Time: 240 minutes
    Exam time: 180 minutes
    Questions: 77

This will change once the exam goes live.

Advice:

1. Study everything on the objectives, and I mean everything.

2. Do not underestimate this exam just because it is aimed at the client OS instead of the Server OS. This exam is a tier 3/level 3 for a very good reason.

I failed the 71-680 by 20 points, I believe my failure on this exam will be greater.

Do not think that you'll pass this exam if you have previous experience with XP & Vista, there is alot of specific questions to Windows 7.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Never assume mate, I'm sure you'd have done fine ;)
    Well done for taking it and reporting back to us!
    when do you find out the results of the test?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. Kitkatninja

At the end of the exam it says 8 weeks after the beta period ends, but can be longer in some cases... So I'll have to wait and see :)

-ken

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. mickys19

mickys19 New Member

I have also sat this exam today..

I agree with the O/P on everything said...

This is a tricky exam and definately definately use the resources provided!.

hth Micky.

Certifications: VCP, ITILv3, LPIC1, MCTS (70-642)
    WIP: 70-640
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Got both my W7 Pro exams in 3 weeks. My bottle has gone already! Fingers crossed for your results mate. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. gomcse2002

gomcse2002 Nibble Poster

Thank you, Ken for your input.

I just re-schedule the exam till Oct 16 and give me more time to study.

Good luck to all of you who had either taken or will be taking this beast.

Certifications: MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCAS, A+, N+, S+, i+
    WIP: MCITP Windows 2008 server
  7. mr_zzz

mr_zzz New Member

thank you for the input!

Was the exam also mostly about deloyment?
    is it more windows 7 or windows server 2008R2 related? because tier 3 is sometimes more a w2k8 exam then a windows 7 exam ... .
    I also wonder if they ask much about the command syntaxes?, I can't study them all by head :)

8. Kitkatninja

On the old track (MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE), Microsoft tried to get it by job role, however imo failed. It was more technology based, eg Tier 1 was Desktop, Tier 2 was Servers and Tier 3 was Network (including design).

However on the new MCTS/MCITP track it is different, the MCTS certs are the technology based ones, while the MCITP are job/role based.

Without beaking the NDA, just check out the Skills Measured. A tier 2 support person most likely would not have to deal with the following (let alone a Tier 1) and more:

1. Licensing (and I don't mean for a single PC either)
    2. Designing an update strategy
    3. Analyzing existing hardware environment; determining which systems meet minimum requirements; tradeoffs of physical vs. VDI environment; network load considerations; disk space; direct connection vs. brokered connection; determining a VHD strategy; choosing 32 bit vs. 64 bit
    4. Identify and resolve Group Policy issues
    5. Etc, etc, etc...

So as you can see the MCITP: EDA is a Tier 3 qualification.

-Ken

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Looks like I might fail this one based on Ken's feedback.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Kitkatninja

I wouldn't say that, I was ill-prepared for the exam...

-Ken

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

well, I took this this morning, and found one thing - I either knew the answer or I didn't.

some of the questions I found to be straight forward, others were far beyone what I deal with, or have experienced dealing with and are very windows7/2008R2 and its new bits specific.

As Ken has already said, past knowledge alone will not get you through this exam.

One thing i do know though is where the gaps are in my knowledge.

8)

12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I didn't do any revision for the exam mate.

So have to wait on this one, I think it could be my first failure.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5