IT Career Advice...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Fireball, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Fireball

Fireball New Member

Hello all!

This is my first time here, after reading a few posts, I decided to post.

Basically, Im desperate to break into the IT industry. I started a computer science style degree with the open uni last year, I've got through one nine month course on data and information. But looking through jobs that are advertisted, it looks to me I might have a hard time with open uni and looking for the right ticks in the box for a job...

What would be another option for me? Im 28 and feel Im at a brick wall in this complex field, I would really appriciate some help and guidence from others who maybe have been in my shoes or people in the know

Thank you in advance all!

2. sharma170

sharma170 New Member

hello Fireball

I think you should get IT training. If yes then visit arceliait.com It may be helpful to you.

3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Hey Fireball,

At 22 years old I came out of uni with a pretty much useless degree. I changed my career focus and only had my hobby to offer as experience.

With determination and the willingness to learn I've had 2 jobs in IT, working my way up now to a great workplace with decent pay (for 1st line role in London).

Its never too late to start in IT; as long as you’re willing to learn and have some determination then you can do it.

I'm not sure on your experience, so I'm going to give advice to someone who has a hobbyist attitude (like I did).

Get your A+, it’s the friendliest, industry entry level certification. While not all UK companies know what the A+ is, it will teach you the fundamental knowledge and ability to troubleshoot and handle customers/clients/support calls. http://www.certforums.co.uk/store/detail/0071701338

You don't need any prior knowledge - just go through the book and complete the practical elements.

I would recommend the A+ book by Mike Meyers, (7th Edition). It is thorough, and covers everything you need for both exams required for the A+

As always, you should seek a secondary source. For this I would go for the FREE video resource from ProfessorMesser - Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

He covers all the areas in video, as well as covers Windows 7 in enough detail to pass your A+. (Mike Meyers edition doesn't cover Windows 7, new edition coming next year).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Not sure how that site will help? Its an indian based it consultancy...

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

When I first looked at getting into IT I first looked at the open university also but was quickly told by people to head down the route of certifications

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Personally I would still work toward your degree as its something that is definitely advantageous. Completing a few certs also will point you in the right direction as you need to make yourself stand out from the other applicants. Gaining experience will be the next vital step but you can only get that by getting yourself a job in IT.

Are you currently working, if so what industry?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hard work, determination and enthusiasm would take you a long way in any career field so don't let age be a limiting factor. Good advice given above already, all the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Isn't that French for 'bum milk'?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD