BASIC TOOLKIT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanatical, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

What should I be looking for in a general, starter kit for starting my A+?

Also what should I be Adding/Upgrading after that? :noob

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

umm i think you going to need two different sizes of flat noses and star screwdrivers, some pliers or cutters! ill think of the rest soon.. look on amazon or ebay they have some nice kits but not too sure on the quality thou!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Dont forget about ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge), so you will need the wrist strap, can not remember the name for it, one end is a crocodile clip for grounding and the other connects to your wrist...

I know Maplins sell them.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd suggest a few screwdrivers of the various sorts (crosshead, Phillips and flat), small and big pliers, nut-spinner (VGA and serial retention screws). Plus a cheapish DVM. A small torch comes in handy as well.

You can get most of this in one case quite cheaply, although durability won't be good!

IMHO although some kits include a soldering iron I don't feel that A+ needs one, and there is little that requires one anyway.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. hbroomhall

Yes indeed. A+ makes quite a thing about these wrist straps. Not expensive either.

Harry.

6. hbroomhall

For future extensions to the kit I'd recomend:

PSU tester
    POST card

Harry.

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I think Harry got most of the tools needed. A selection of screw drivers such as a terminal driver (small flat blade), small philips or posi drive and a larger philips posi drive are a must. You may also need a 3mm nur spinner (like a 3mm socket but on a handle), A basic voltmeter that measures 12vDC and 240Vac, a small pair of side cutters, small needle nose pliers, a small brush (used for cleaning away dust) and a can of air! And i would say most important of all is the ESD wrist strap.. (or if you cant get one a piece of copper wire connected to the earth pin of a plug!)

I have also had need at one time for a 5 point Torx drive as some cases have these fitted instead of philips screws.
    Also if you want to get technical a POST card comes in handy. It tests the POST on startup and will give a HEX code to help indicate any problems.. Its easier than trying to count beeps if a problem occurs.

Also if your doing networks or want to test serial ports than a Loopback connector comes into use....

Any more than that and i think you start getting into the realms of profesional circuit board repair equipment such as oscilloscopes, signal generators, current tracers etc etc which are overkill for A+.....

Hope it all helps lol.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

so two lollipop stick and PVA glues won't do then?

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

No.. u left out the important tool....the washing up liquid bottle!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

11. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

I would suggest a Cat-5 crimper. #2 and #1 phillips head, small, medium, and jewlers flat heads, torx bits, a small socket driver (I think it's 1/4 inch, not sure what the metric size would be), side cutters, needle nose, a ground strap, and a can of air. Also tweezers are a plus.

~Brad

12. hbroomhall

13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I have this exact kit and although it's pretty good, due to the way the screwdriver has changeable heads, it's quite wide and short and so it's pretty hard getting into harder to reach places. I also have this Belkin kit and would recommend it.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

13 posts in and no one mentioned a paper clip yet ??? Shame on youse.

Straighten it out, insert into the small hole in front of the CD-ROM drive, and then simply remove the CD that you left in it just before you powered down/ removed the drive/ forgot how to open it normally, etc.

Great tech tool. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. Baba O'Riley

LMAO :D

The first thing I added to my kit! The second was a ESD strap and the third was a makeup brush I nicked from the GF.

16. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

on my last pc build I used a variety of tools... electric drill, soldern iron, sander, sandpaper, buffer and oven cleaner. It was an unconventional build to say the least.

17. Baba O'Riley

I used a hack-saw on my last build! :D

18. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

WTF were you building!? :eek:

19. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

Mike Meyers also mentions a non-static vacuum cleaner for sucking up the dirt that canned air or a brush would loosen.

WIP: A+
  20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Can anyone recommend an ESD safe vacuum?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT