Windows NT Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by jackd, Mar 19, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I have got a cd with windows nt server on it but i cant install because when i click install or upgrade i get the error message:

Could not execute the following command: IpFiles = E:\i386\winnt32.exe, IpParameters =, IpDirectory = E:\platform.

If i try to perform a clean install it says please insert the windows nt server cd into the drive and press enter i insert it and press enter and the message appears again.

the cd does not have a i386 directory all of the files are just on the cd not in folders.

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm.... I don't really have anything to say along the lines of your error as I'm not all that familiar with NT, but I do have to ask why you would want to install an OS that is as old as NT is. Why install something that MS no longer supports? You may not even be able to get drivers for it if you're installing it on new hardware because no one is writing drivers for NT anymore.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

i would install a newer version but windows nt is the only version it can handle

4. ffreeloader

Well, I guess you'll just have to wait for some of our IT "old timers" to give you some help. I've installed it a time or two, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of NT, and it's been several years since I've done that.

I pull a total blank on Google with a seach for your error so it doesn't seem to be something that's very common, or any sites that once held information related to that error have long ago quit publishing those pages.

5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

well thats the problem with nt isnt it its so old

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

ipfiles, ipparameters and ipdirectory are windows api functions for shellexecute.
    anyway, no i386 folder? e:\platform? that doesn't sound like an official cd, so i am slightly hesitant to help.

here's two ideas, and i'll let you take it from there.
    1) google for the file list of the i386 folder, take all the relevant files from your cd root and burn a new cd with a i386 folder.
    2) create an unattended installation, using a bootdisk. in the answer file assign the cd root as the source location.

7. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

it is definitly a offical cd my dad ordered it from microsoft when it was the newest thing out.

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Erm Jack, NT4 was released in 1995/6? I can't remember exactly. When it was the newest thing out you would have been 2! :eek:

9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

well it was my dads same thing

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

bullocks. an official microsoft nt 4 server cd that has no folders at all and has all the files stored in the cd root? you should hold on to that, jack, because you've got a unique item there. it could be worth something.

by the way, why would such a cd, when trying to install, look for an i386 folder if it hasn't any folders to begin with?

in any case, i gave you some tips. that should get you on your way.

11. ffreeloader

Thanks for that bit o' knowledge, d-Faktor. You always seem to come up with this stuff that's highly practical, yet somehow obscure.

You da man.... :biggrin

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

yet slightly fallible nonetheless. the arguments are lpfile, lpparameters and lpdirectory, not ip... :oops:
    ah well, i'm not a developer, so... moving on... :tune

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. dotnetms

dotnetms Bit Poster

NT is still alive? ;)

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Unfortunately not, the OP has switched to W2K (I think) but he mentioned that in a new thread :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)