Help needed on wireless set up!

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by markprendy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

I have recently purhased a BT Voyager 2100 Wireless ADSL Router and Wireless LAN Adapter.
    I set up both of these ok and now have my desktop pc wireless.
    However I need to set up a wireless network so I can connect my laptop but this is when I run into problems.
    After I follow the wireless network wizard instructions I get a window that says the following:

ERROR-Microsoft Windows XP-MARK-SNXGBNEV48 (this computer, Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard might not work.
    For details, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on Microsoft.com)

I then go to view available networks only for the window to say:

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection
    If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection,use that software
    If you want to use windows to configure this wireless connection, click "Change advanced settings", click the wireless networks tab,
    then select the check box labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

I am at a total loss as what to do and would really appreciate any help at all. Many thanks
    Mark

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Click start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Within services find the one called Wireless Zero Configuration, and start it.

You should then be able to let windows manage your wireless setup.

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

Hi,
    Thanks for the fast responce. I clicked on the restart option, a loading bar came up and went off after a few seconds. Nothing seems to have changed. Do I have to do something else now?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Once you have started the service you will need to go back to the view available networks screen and try to refresh.

8)

5. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

I have done m8..nothing! :(

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do exactly that. With XP you *either* use the setup in XP, or you use the setup provided by the manufacturer. The check box mentioned determines which. If you use the setup provided by the manuf at any time then the check box becomes unticked.

Unless there are special reasons why, always have that box ticked, and use the Microsoft setup option.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

I have clicked on the box in wireless networks for XP to set it up but it still doesnt appear to do anything!??

8. hbroomhall

Once that box is ticked then select the search for networks. It should show your network (and perhaps others). Click on that and click connect.

Harry.

9. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

I have done this and all I get is the following message in the window:
    "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection
    If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection,use that software
    If you want to use windows to configure this wireless connection, click "Change advanced settings", click the wireless networks tab,
    then select the check box labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

:(

10. hbroomhall

Did you do that?

And have you checked your adaptor in Device Manager to make sure it is working correctly?

Harry.

11. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

Yes m8 and no different!?

12. hbroomhall

Does it now say 'started'?

Harry.

13. hbroomhall

Perhaps we need to go back to basics for this one.

Which Service Pack do you have on XP?

Make and model of the adaptor you are trying to get to work?

Did you install the driver disk for the adaptor?

Does it show 'OK' in the Device Manager?

Does the Windows Zero conf service show as 'started'?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but I suspect we are missing something here so checking these off should help.

Harry.

14. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

I have service pack 2

The make of the adapter is PEAK and is full description is "Mini Wireless LAN Adapter USB 2.0 802.11b/g

I did install the software and it is listed in the device manager with the quote: "This device is working properly."

Yes the Windows Zero conf service shows as 'started'

Thanks in advance!

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Mark,

Does your laptop have another wireless adapter, ie a Centrino Chipset?

Is the wireless adapter listed on Microsofts hardware compatible list? You could try run.....sigverif to see if the driver has been digitally signed.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

The adapter I mentioned is the one in my desktop pc which has made it wireless but the problem is I cant set up a network!
    My laptop cant find a network as there isnt one on my desktop..Im having trouble setting one up!

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried using the wireless utility that would have been installed by the PEAK software? This utility is what is taking control away from the built in XP utility. In other words, you have two programs which can connect to wireless networks installed on your laptop and only one of them can function at a time. Try the PEAK utility!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Simon, sometimes you cannot use the built in wireless configuration and you must use the manufacturers one. Check this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;871122

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. hbroomhall

Hang on here - I'm getting lost.

You said you had a router with Wifi, and a desktop that wirelessly connected to it. The problem was that the laptop wouldn't.

Now here you are trying to connect the laptop directly to the desktop!

Can you carefully describe the network layout, so that we don't lead you astray?

Harry.

20. markprendy

markprendy Bit Poster

Sorry for any confusion!!
    Basically I have a router I have set up wireless with an adapter in the back of my desktop pc.
    I want to set up a Network on my desktop pc so I can use my laptop (which has a LAN card).
    However when I go to setup a Wireless Network this is when I run into problems and get the messages listed in my first post, i.e, ERROR, Setup Wizard might not work correctly, etc.
    I havent yet tried connecting my laptop as I dont yet have a Network which I was told I have to have!?
    Hope this clears it up a little and sorry for being lame! :oops: