MCAD @ Bickenhall College of Computing

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by stalakos, Sep 28, 2005.

1. stalakos

stalakos New Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done at courses through Bickenhall College of Computing in London?

If so what were the coures / tutors like etc?
    Value for Money?

thanks

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

I'm affraid that I can't offer you any advise on that college, but if you pop along to the new members forum and introduce yourself, and tell us a bit more about you, i.e. what your background is, what you aspire to etc, we may be able to give you more detailed advice.

:)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

In your introduction you said that you have been working with SQL for a while. How did you gain these skills? If it was simply by playing around with the product then have you thought about doing the MCAD via self study? This option will be a lot cheaper than any course, and if you already have some prior knowledge, then you're already on you way.

The college that you have mentioned, although I am not famillair with it, may well be a good choice for you if you feel that you need motivation, and deadlines to help you along.

What it will cost, I don't know, but being that it is through a college it will probably be a lot cheaper than using a commercial training provider such as computeach..

Regardless of which route you decide to opt for post your questions here as there is always someone willing to help.

8)

4. stalakos

stalakos New Member

My SQL skills I have learned by doing, as with most of my programming skills as well. I have been on the odd course and found there is nothing like dedicated study time to boost development.

How do employers view the MCAD?

Do you think it makes up for any lack of commercial experience?

Is it good as a "foot in the door" tool?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nothing makes up for experience.

What you have said in your intorduction though is that you currently have some experience.

If you persue the MCAD you may find that it will help you in your day to day role, making things that you do easier, picking up experience along the way.

For getting your foot in the door it wouldn't hurt to have the cert, if you can back this up with experience, even if somewhat limited in your current role, then you should find work no problem.

As for how employers view the MCAD, I have no idea.

6. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

That course looks good. Course fee of £2200 for a 12 week course sounds reasonable.

I'm a Business IT graduate with limited programming experience and want to get into this field. At the moment, I'm self-studying for my MCAD, but my progress is a bit slow! It is possible, but I lack self discipline :rolleyes: So I'm thinking of maybe taking the plunge and finding a course to do.

Most of the programming jobs advertised requires at least a year's development experience or a graduate who studied the language as part of the degree. I'm hoping my MCAD will help me get my foot in the door and get me an interview, having a cert will at least demonstrate I'm familiar with the programming language. So it would help :D

Best of luck!

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I was looking at doing my RHCE at BSOC
    let me know if you find out anything about them good or bad :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0