Got My 1st Job In The IT Field

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fazzy, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Fazzy

Fazzy New Member

Finally got my 1st job in the IT field since i seriously started looking in March and have just completed my 2nd week. Im basically providing telephone support for users and occasionally building/re-imaging machines. Im hoping to gain a certification or 2 while in this job. Although i don't want to look too forward at the moment and am just happy that i've managed to get my foot in the door, im ultimately hoping to head into a more hands-on role in the future. Any words of advice how i should go about meeting that aim?
    For those looking for their 1st jobs, keep at it and never give up (got frustrated myself on many occasions and recieved many a rejection letter but you have got to be in it to have any chance).

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Congrats Fazzy - well done. Time to celebrate ? :alc

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Fazzy. Well done. :D

I think you have at least partly answered your question. First, you have to get your foot in the door. Next, you spend some time in the trenches. In your case, that means doing your phone support job and the occasional building/re-imaging of machines.

As you continue in the job, make sure you try to find a way to distinguish yourself. This can be as simple as being responsible and having a good work ethic. You'd be surprised at how many people do the minimum just to get by. If you can show your employers that you are a dependable worker, opportunities may open up.

Also, volunteer for things. Seek opportunities to learn more by working with more advanced techs. See if there are in-house training opportunities. Let people know you want to advance in the field and that you'd appreciate any chance to further yoru learning and experience.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Congratulations, Fazzy :alc Only four months, too - pretty good.

It's not that long ago I got my first break so I know how great it feels! Keep plugging away and show them what an asset you are and you'll soon get more responsibility and hands-on opportunities!

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  5. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Delighted for you! :thumbleft

Looking for that 1st one myself and always a boost to hear other success stories!

All the best for the future! :beers2

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  6. Fazzy

Fazzy New Member

Thanks guys. Am hoping i can make the most of this oppurtunity and hopefully it can act as a launchpad for my aims in the future. Weemez mate good luck in your hunt, im sure you'll get that all important break, usually comes when u least expect it.

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats and good luck mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well done my friend, always good to hear a success story :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong