Finding the Right Role in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jul 12, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This might be better in the articles section but most of you don't seem to read what's posted there (a mistake on your part...there are some really great tech articles posted that you might benefit from) so I thought I'd post this here. I think since many of you are just starting out your careers, that this article would be most beneficial.
    For the rest of this article, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Cracking article - pinned.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Great find Trip. I think I'll pass this one to my CEO. It's not just a good article for IT people, it could also be a good lesson for management. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If I'm so great, how come my "reputation" is still stuck at 35? :tongue

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You must be reading your power backwards. 8)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Cos you get to shamelessly plug your book(s) for free, Mister ! 8)

lol- Everyone gather round and give Trip some reputation - I bet there's not a soul in this place that hasn't benefitted from his advice at some point. Give a bit back ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not only has he done this but also conned a couple of us to buy the bloody thing.:ohmy

Just joking mate. Great book it is too. :thumbleft

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

ROTFLMAO! I see my evil plan worked. :evil

jk

:wink:

9. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Just received my copy from Mr Amazon :D Good work trip.......8)

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Muff. Much appreciated. I don't mind (and would appreciate it actually) if you let me know what you think of it. You can PM me if you'd like. I know I'm not perfect (far from it) so any constructive criticism will help me become a better writer down the road. If you want to post a (hopefully favorable but I expect people to be truthful) review of it on amazon, that would be kewl, too. :biggrin

11. superkarimo

superkarimo Bit Poster

"We have the same situation in IT. We need people to stay in roles and positions that leverage their strengths and allow them to be good at what they do."

Sorry, but doesn't this contradict what people say that a job/career in IT is about learning and progress. Why should a person stay in their role or position if they want to move into another area of IT? Isn't part of the problem that many people in IT have trained themselves and so job/company loyalty is low? Just an outsiders impression

Certifications: City & Guilds diplomas in C,C++ and VB
    WIP: ???
  12. nelson1876

nelson1876 New Member

Well the article is quite true and it is benificial to peoples who like to hook noses at others jobs, atleast they will feal ashamed of what they do. I appreciate the article and would my self use it in future.:)

13. millermccullum

millermccullum New Member

Hey Tripwire.
    Myself Millermccullum and I read your entire posting. Welcome to the forum Tripwire. I am appreciating your nice thought. Your article is really good one. It will definitely help all IT professionals. You did very nice job here. Anyways Thanks. Stay Connecte

14. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

And the award for Most Random Post goes to . . . . .

Not sure if you noticed mate but TripWire joined 6 years ago and has made around 14 thousand posts. . . . . ergo a bit late to welcome him to Cert Forums. . . . but I'm sure he will appreciate your comments all the same :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

spammer m8 - just report and ignore :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

Great article with many things to learn. you are right as far as IT is concerned.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA