70-178 (71-178) Microsoft Project 2010, Managing Projects exam (beta)

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

70-178 (71-178 ) Microsoft Project 2010, Managing Projects exam (beta)

Well decided to give this beta exam, the 70-178, a go. I've been using Project 2007 and 2010, but really only the basic's of the program.

Anyway, the main study resource that I've been using this book: Microsoft® Project 2010 Step by Step (available printed and as a ebook).

While I've found this book to be very useful, the time frame that I'm cramming this book in isn't. 512 pages within a week, while that doesn't really sound alot, added to the normal working week and trying to fit everything else in - things don't stay in my head... If I had 3-4 weeks, I would feel more comfortable, especially when it came to the more advanced chapters that the books deals with.

Other resources that other's may find useful include:
    Project 2010 Quick Start Training
    Getting started with Project 2010
    Microsoft Project 2010, Managing Projects (Exam Objectives)
    Download Microsoft Project Professional 2010 Trial
    Project 2010 TechCenter Refresh

I have the exam this afternoon at 13.00hrs (yes on a Sunday).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Good luck Ken!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good luck Ken ! :D

Got mine booked for Weds afternoon - latest appt I could get. Hectic end of term last week so I've really only got 3 days to look at this in and it's been a while since I've touched Project 2007.

Realistically I'll be lucky to even come close but you never know ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja

Thanks guys

Know what you mean... Same here.

The latest available to take this exam was either today or the 24th in our area, and didn't want to be studying up to Christmas.

If I pass, great :D However if I fail, at least I'll know where I'm weak and I did pick up some good tips for using Project 2010 for work 8)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A Sunday? :eek: Didnt think that was possible.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

Anyway, sat the exam and I have to say that it was one of the hardest exams that I've taken. I'm not saying that the exam ia/was difficult, but considering my limited exposure to Project 2010 compared to building/managing servers - well you guy's get my drift... I can say that I knew about 25% of the answers from what I've remembered from the book and from experience, however the more advanced features, I drew a blank.

While I would love to pass this exam, I'd be lucky if I get a score in the 500's or above.

Anything is possible 8) Our local testing centre is practically open Monday to Sunday.

-Ken

7. eralper

eralper Bit Poster

I'm planning to take the exam soon.

Which topics can you suggest me to go over?

8. eralper

eralper Bit Poster

Hello I got the exam recently

I studied with what is new in Project2010 and I think that was a good start for preparing this exam.
    Some questions were very easy since I know the answer :)
    But some were too confusing
    I prepared a short review on exam 70-178 Microsoft Project 2010, Managing Projects certification

One major problem for me was I did not work with master-subprojects

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011