Should I Do 70-682, or 70-680/685?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by kevraff, May 20, 2010.

1. kevraff

kevraff New Member

I've just passed my MCDST and the next logical step is Windows 7 MCITP.

I know I have the option of the upgrade exam 70-682 - but I'm wondering whether there's any real advantage for me in choosing this exam.

I haven't go much hands on experience with Win 7 (my company is just rolling it out) and I'm anticipating having to do a fair bit of study. I'm using the MS Press books for both 680 and 685 and I'm figuring that if I have to study both of them, then I might as well take both exams. I also think this might make things a bit easier for me - because I can study for the 680, take the exam, and then concentrate on 685 - rather than having to take an exam coverning both courses at once. My employer is paying for the exams, so cost isn't a concern there.

I just wonder what other people think. Should the 70-682 exam be the automatic choice of someone with an MCDST?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Support
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Personally I'd wait until I felt ready to take an exam and make the decision then.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

I don't see the benefit of doing 680 + 685 over just 682 given that it's 2 exams versus 1, both leading to the same certificate. If you had suggested that you want to progress on to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator for example, then the 680 + 685 route may be better.

WIP: 70-682
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I actually did the 680 and the 682 simply because I got a discount on both the exams. The 682 is just 50% questions from the 680 exam and 50% questions from the 685. So you need to be double sure of your knowledge.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. kevraff

kevraff New Member

Well, just to clarify why I perceive a benefit: If a candidate takes 682, then they have to study and revise the course for both 680 and 685 together. Even though it's only one exam, you still have to know both subjects.

But if you do the exams separately, then you can concentrate on the courses one after the other.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Support
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

However there is a lot of crossover on the exams, personally speaking I would go for the upgrade and save the cost of the additional exam (£88 )

Last edited: May 20, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Col

Col Byte Poster

I was pondering this question myself and have decided to go for the 682

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  8. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Hi There

I'm having the same problem in deciding which exam to take.

I'm also MCDST certified and took the similar upgrade exam for Windows Vista.
    The difference on that exam being that it counted as passing both exams and receiving both the MCTS and MCITP credentials.

Upon reviewing the exam descriptions I noticed that this time however, the upgrade exam does not give you full credit for the 680 and the 685 exam. There's quite a lot of chatter about this on the internets too: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t723401-so-round-and-round-70-682-mslearning-please-read.html

If that is still the fact, and Microsoft has no intent of changing it, I really don't see the use in taking the upgrade, thus buying and learning both books.

Personally I will probably take the 70-680 exam, since I can use that one as a client exam towards the MCITP: SA.

Did your company explicitly ask you to get the Enterprise Support Technician cert?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  9. Jack Hardcore

Jack Hardcore Bit Poster

Update from MS chat today!

David: Exam 70-682: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician is currently not set up correctly in our certification database. Although passing this upgrade exam should result in MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 certification as well as the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification, the system is only granting the MCITP certification.

David: As a result, candidates who have taken and passed this exam will not see the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification on their transcript or be able to download the certificate; they will only see the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 certification.

Murray: I see, will this be rectified?

Murray: 100%?

David: This will be corrected in our next certification database update which should be completed in September.

Certifications: MCDST, ITILv3
    WIP: MCITP Win7, MCITP SA & EA