Spam filters

Discussion in 'Software' started by Josiahb, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

There have been threads on this before but they all looked fairly elderly, whats everyone favoured spam filtering solution?

We're using SpamAssassin here and I'm severly underwhelmed with the current version, the tolerances are so fine its proving difficult to get it adjusted satisfactorily.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

We're currently using Webroot's email security service which is a saas based system.

So far it has been pretty good, and loads more features than the previous service we used which was messagelabs.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

We use Barrauda Boxes with a subscription to their filtering service. Very good, almost no spam and a low false positive rate. However they seem to have changed their threshold for Reputation blocking so we are getting more tagged for the IT staffs review, probably about 100 emails a day or so that will need reviewd and sent on.

All in all though I do recomend them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Good suggestions, particularly interested to hear the comment on MessageLabs (obviously their name appears a lot when investigating these things). The only problem I seem to run into with any other spam solution is cost, its difficult to beat free after all....

5. Gingerdave

It is difficult to beat free, unless you get a better service!

6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Very true, hence why I'm putting some time into investigating other options!

We had well over 500 spam emails make it through to users yesterday which for me is an unacceptable level, particularly when you've only got 50 users!

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mail Marshall or Mailwall (Hosted)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Gingerdave

Yowch! I think we have had a bad day if more then 10 make it through to our 250 users!

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For e-mail, we're installing the Sophos ES1100 (hardware appliance). And for the internet, we're running the Sophos WS1000 (hardware appliance) that then feeds into ForeFront TMG 2010 (aka ISA 2010) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'll be interested to hear how the Sophos kit performs, we already use their AV here so theres already some of the groundwork there to convince management of its quality.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

TBH, we hate Sophos software, it's resource heavy and their pricing can (and should) be alot better. However their hardware appliances are very good :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

We bought a 10 year license rapidly approaching 10 years ago so the companies never really known anything else. Generally its been very good but we have noticed that recent updates seem to be using more and more in the way of resources.

We might have to look at other options when the license comes up but one thing at a time!

13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Anyone got any other suggestions? I'm starting to put my case together for this this afternoon and the more ammunition I can come up with the better. Partly because my boss just tends to skim over large amounts of text and just look for the recommendation at the bottom, meaning more text=less chance of him saying no :twisted:

I've yet to test this on the subject of pay however....:p

14. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

We used mlabs for about 6 years, but the control panel was very basic compared to webroot's cp.

Webroot was also cheaper per user than mlabs, and we had a free 30 day trial of the service to see if we liked it before moving over completely.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Arse....

No budget available, unsurprisingly. Still gonna put together a nice little report on the subject, might get some movement.

Thanks for the info though, rep coming to those who deserve it :p

Oh and Ken, I'll still be interested to hear how your Sophos kit performs.

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Used Mailmarshal SMTP with good results in the past for on-site. Also migrated a few people from GFI recently to Postini which seems to work well.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

GOD DAMNIT!

Anyone willing to hand over part of their IT budget so I can get my boss to look at this? Bloody SpamAssassin stopped processing at 10:50 this morning because the sodding temp spool ram disk was full. Of course no body bloody noticed till about 15 minutes ago.

Oh, and I've spent most of the day dealing with the crud that it let through over the weekend...

18. Gingerdave

Is it worth contact some companies for a free trial I know some companies will do it - allowing you to show the boss the value of whats there for just your time.

Have PM'd you a contact for a company I deal with to sort the spam filtering I use. She is very good and may well be able to adivse you on some good technologies that may suit a budget you can free up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thanks GD, thats my current objective. If I can get the go ahead I can at least prove there is a better way and be sure that if I can't squeeze the cash out of this years budget I can get it out of next years.

Thanks for the contact, much appreciated.

20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Woohoo! I should take time off more often!

I've been out of the office since wednesday so my boss has had all that time dealing with the flack which comes from our less than stellar spam solution, the MD has been getting 150 spam a day apparently.

The practical upshot of this is that the purse strings are loosening, but to get my grubby little hands on the cash I now need facts and figures to back my argument. Has anyone got some real and solid statistics on the performance of their spam solution? i.e. number of emails dealt with per day, false positive rates etc. If you have it would be much appreciated :biggrin

GD I've already been in contact with your suggested supplier and they've been most helpful so far so thanks again.