Swearing - Do you or don't you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonD, Feb 3, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I do, I doswear in front of my parents on occasion but try very hard not to infront of a very impressionable 2.5 year old. There are occasions where I will swear in front of a client as well, however that obviously depends on the client.

It's my belief that there are occasions when the use of swear words gets more across in those very few choice words than anything else can.

Being an ex soldier I am used to the air being blue however there are obviously others that frown upon it.

What are your thoughts on the use of swear words and swearing? When is an appropriate time and when isn't?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I swear every day, everyone in my work swears as well.

“That f**king server is down again”

....repeat. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Depends on the situation. Friends and family yes, work no

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

To be perfectly honest I don't believe there is any situation where I feel swear words are absolutey necessary! Having workd on an Army base for over 2 years I was subjected to more than anyones fair share of swear words.... but why would anyone think it is necessary to use them so.....

Any point can be obtained by using a stern but correct use of any language without having to resort to swearing. I know it sometimes feels necessary but the point is often brought home more by the lack of foul language that the use of swearing in any situation.

Maybe it is set by principles, but after working in Customer relations for many years I still feel I can command any situation without resorting to using any swear words at all. Again I feel this is generally down to the situation you are in and how you feel at the time, but getting "rude" in any sense of the word leads to disrespect for you and your situation...

~Ati~

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Got to be a bit carefull working in a school. Still in the privacy of my office then yes, but only if the need arises "That F***** server is down again"

At home, no even though I have 2 teenage kids, swearing is frowned upon. My mum hates it, but the old man used to be apoliceman and swears like a trooper on the golf course - or is that me!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some customers I support constantly swear when talking to me. It’s not like we are having a heated conversation or anything, its like....

“You know that f**king idiot finance director? He wants a new laptop but has decided that we won’t get a pay rise this year, what the f**k is that all about mate?”
    Me “Err yeah, that’s bad” :eek:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

See... that's the thing you should totally steer away from in the work place.... you can't have an opinion! In IT, Customer relations, or internal relations... You can't make a comment when someone makes a statement like that in case it comes back on you.

That's where I think I have been privileged in my up bringing... I wouldn't even let a swear word slip through my lips at work... at home Yeah... but thats at home :twisted:

~Ati~

8. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

My Dad has been a teacher for nearly 40 years and I don't think I have ever heard him swear in my whole life!! Hence the respect thing....

~Ati~

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I swear all the time - and I mean ALL the time. Just a part of my vocabulary, and always has been. I was raised in a pretty s***y area, so also have a very strong Sarf Laandon accent. I quite like it, actually. I enjoy seeing the look of shock on people's faces when they realise I'm actually not as thick as I sound :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used to swear quite a bit. Not anymore, though.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I use to but not anymore since becoming a christian. But to be honest it's not necessary and to me is unecessary and unprofessional.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It depends who I'm talking with (srsly). At work: big no. At home: big no (Martin hates swearing).

But if I'm talking socially to someone who habitually swears, I will also start swearing (sympathy swearing??)

Zeb may have noticed this... lol

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yes, I do! So f*çking what!:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Yes.

Quite often without even realising it, especially when doing any development work.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I tend to when I get off the phone from talking to certain ****heads. I find it relieves the stress. I suppose I could crack open a bottle but then I'd be drinking and swearing.

I try not to at home, certainly not in front of wife and son; however, when faced with stupid drivers I do ocassionally shout words of encouragement... and my son will bubble me to the missus. Little darling. :)

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Depends on the company.

Generally I will swear quite happily when necessary, but there's a time and a place.
    Wouldn't do it in a formal meeting or with suppliers/contractors unless we'd built up that sort of familiarity.

I used to work with a guy who swore ALL the time.
    He was great. If he called you by your name, you knew that you were in trouble.
    If he called you by every name under the sun, you knew that you were OK.

It also took him twice as long as necessary to say anything, because every other word was a swear word.
    'So the t**t got his f***ing ladder up against the f***ing house and the c**t went up f***ing three b*****d times before he fixed the f***er.' :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Personally, I think swearing is just more words added to the vocabulary. Saying "This is terrible" doesn't quite get across the point. Wherever "this is ****ing terrible" does.

it's about when it is appropriate, I'll swear when I know it's acceptable too, if others in the office don't then I will cut it down as to not offend. I won't swear in front of Directors etc or School kids as of my last job. Wouldn't swear in meetings etc. It's informal, not formal after all.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  18. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

When i worked for a plumbing firm in London every second word was f*** this B****** that C*** that.
    After a while it becomes draining listening to the the same old s**t.

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yep. All the time and without reservation. Unfortunately through various factors at home, the dreaded C word (which I have to admit I think is the most coarse swear word ever) has been desensitised with me, ive been known to belt out with it at work in response to a particular person.

I dont particularly care about it to be honest. Its just a word, and expression. To paraphrase Tim Minchin, any word can be used as a swearword. Finger is particularly inoffensive by any standards, but when used in the sentence "I want to finger your mum", it becomes all new levels of vulgarity.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  20. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's all about using your sentence enhancers, right? :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA