CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

Discussion in 'News' started by craigie, Jan 26, 2010.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

Current certificate holders remain certified for life; renewal requirement applies only to certifications earned on or after January 1, 2011

Oakbrook Terrace, Ill., January 26, 2010 – CompTIA, the leading provider of vendor neutral skills certifications for the world’s information technology (IT) workforce, today clarified details of its upcoming certification renewal and continuing education policy.

All individuals currently certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and/or CompTIA Security+ will retain their “certified for life” status with no requirement to recertify or retest.

Individuals who become certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ by December 31, 2010 also will be considered certified for life.

Read More here

Thanks to NotesBloke!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Theprof
      Theprof
      LOL that's much better!
    2. nXPLOSi
      nXPLOSi
      Thats abit more like it.

Whether or not people will bother with CompTIA much after 2010 is still a question in my mind, but as long as they stick to what they promised when I certified, I have no beef.
    3. supernova
      supernova
      Obviously they have gone back on there original decision considering one of the original examples was based on gaining a exam in 2005. Also the original statement said it was to start mid 2010 , now its 2011

.. people power!
      Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    4. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Just received the same e-mail from Comptia 2 minutes ago:

-Ken
      Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    5. michael78
      michael78
      This has made them look like incompetent idiots. They didn't do their homework but at least they have seen sense for past certified people. The change in 2011 will still probably finish CompTIA off in the end as it's a ridiculous change.
    6. Sparky
      Sparky
      Good news! :biggrin
    7. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Couldn't have put it better myself. 8)
    8. craigie
      craigie
      I have to say I think CompTIA are a bunch of muppets, yes this is my professional opinion.

What other company takes over 7 months to do some beta results and then comes up with this crap and turns around and realises its going to cost them a ton of revenue and then back tracks.

Never have recommended CompTIA and never will.
    9. JK2447
      JK2447
      Ha ha after all the murder they've caused they go an say this. Its comical. I think CompTIA need a reshuffle at the top after this. I'll still recommend their certs tho purely because expire or not, the A+, N+ and Sec+ all have a good syllabus IMHO and at the end of the day, who cares about your paper. The fact that you can support stuff is all that matters again IMO. Woohoo, Security+ for life tattoo wasn't such a bad idea after all ha ha
    10. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      I hate to say it (especially since I think the original plan was so bad, and I do so hate to do an about turn), but I think this might be a mistake in the long term.

Sure, those of you already certified remain certified for life, and thats right since it was what they told you at the time. However, it wont be long before those employers who are aware of A+ begin to think of those who dont have to recertify less than those who do. Sooner or later you might have to recertify anyway if you are banking on those certs, just from pressure from potential employers.

Perhaps it might have been better to compromise - Give a few free recertifications, or a much reduced rate or something. Or perhaps it might just have been better to leave well enough alone in the first place.
    11. nugget
      nugget
      This was always the point that a lot of people missed. The end result should be viewed here and not just the viewpoint of whether the cert is valid for life or only 3 years.

Maybe, maybe not, but at least the choice is up to you.

In all honesty, if Comptia had announced these changes to start with everybody would sit back and say 'thats fair'. I see their point and also agree with it too about the fast pace of technology and the need to recertify to keep current. I just didn't agree with their way of announcing the changes and that they made it retroactive for the last 10 years.

Now they only need to lower the prices for the exams in accordance with their renewal policy. If they keep the prices for the renewals at the same prices for the lifetime exams then it really is only about the money.
    12. swatto
      swatto
      Thats awesome news :D

Not gonna go back to Network+ now though until MCDST is complete.
    13. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      and ensure they actually keep the sylabus up to date, the recert policy lives or dies on them keeping the quality and relevancy up now.

It might also help if they get people to actually proof read the questions before they release them as well....
    14. darkplayer
      darkplayer
      Yesssssssssss, I'm glad I read this, now I can go ahead and get network+ and Security+ out of the way.
    15. Albert
      Albert
      Forgive me for asking this if the answer is clearly obvious to you guys. Don't quite understand something related to the renewal policy clarification.

Say someone passes both A+ and N+ by 31 Decem. 2010 but takes Security+ after this date. I think it superseeds the other 2 certs at a higher level according to CompTIA. What happens when this cert expires, would the A+ and N+ be the automatic fallback certs or would the Security+ expiration take the A+ and N+ along with it?

Thanks
    16. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      maybe my evil email I sent to them the other day had some bearing on their new deceision :cussing:D
    17. sunn
      sunn
      As I understand, the certs are independent. Another words, the A+ is not a predecessor for the N+ for Security+. In your example, if the Security+ expires, the A+ and N+ would still be valid (if obtained before the deadline).
    18. Rover977
      Rover977
      Re these changes in the renewal policy regarding CompTIA certifications, I cannot see why they could not have simply attached a year to the certs, for example A+ (2003) or Network+ (2005), the year corresponding to the Exam Objectives for the specific exam which was passed. Any pre-existing certs without a date would be understood as coming from an earlier time. Also, on the A+ and N+ certs there is the actual date the cert was obtained, which in my case was in 2006.

Its no different from the various Microsoft certs where people certify in Windows NT4/2000/2003/2008 for example, and have upgrade paths if they choose them, but do not lose pre-existing certs.

All certs in IT should have a year attached or a software version or OS version of some kind, then its clear what the candidate has studied for, knows about, and is certified in.

Its really very simple, and this is all really a fuss about nothing and hasn't done CompTIA's reputation much good, and doesn't really give a good impression of IT certs in general.
    19. lonestar6416
      lonestar6416
      thanks for this info friend...I was terrified when rumor started that ALL compTIA certs had to be rewritten after 3 years...starting this year lolz.
      I just finished A+ this year and am halfway through Net+ so that's a huge relief for me.