UK Tax relief if you're a member of the BCS

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Came across this today. If you're a member of the BCS (and other approved unions/organisations) you can get some tax relief off your subscriptions (in other words more money for you) thru your wages and PAYE tax.

I contacted the Tax Office and told them a few details and then I was issued a new tax code, they'll be sending an official thing thru to our finance dept. Can't wait, it may be £20-£30 a year, but it all helps :)

Hope a few people find this useful.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Coolness! Where did you find this little nugget of info?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Kitkatninja

Our finance dept sent out an e-mail to all teachers about the teaching union "NUT", so I decided to try to see if the BCS was an approved organisation as the e-mail quoted this line from the HMRC form:

As the BCS is a professional body, I thought "What's was the harm in trying?"

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just out of curiousity does the BCS membership give you the benefit of getting Microsoft exams at a discount?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Kitkatninja

No (well kind of, but not directly). Depending on the training provider you can get discounts on training and if they are a Microsoft Academy the vouchers are about 50%, but in order to get those vouchers you have to pay for the training - if you get what I'm trying to say...

-Ken

6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Did you ever find out how much you saved doing this mate?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Kitkatninja

Personally, I haven't (as of yet) taken advantage of this member benefit, so I couldn't tell you.

-Ken

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Kent, thanks for the explanation. I would really love to join the BCS but can't seem to find out what benefits it would be to me in terms of career progression and discount on stuff related to IT.

I hope am not being a pain but just don't want to register with them and find out they're not what am looking for in reference to the above.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Kitkatninja

No Pain, if you have any questions, just ask :)

-Ken

10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

BCS membership does provide a lot of benefits but most of them aren't in the form of discounts etc, the networking opportunities are what make the membership worth having and they are only worth having if you can put the time in to make them work for you.

The various branch and group events are prime opportunities to make contact with others in IT and get your face known.

My membership is actually going to lapse this year, I haven't got the time or the momeny for it at the moment, but I will pick it up again at some point in the future.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. Kitkatninja

That's true...

You can see an overview of benefits here. However for me the main benefits (apart from the CITP) is the career builder site, access to Books24x7, access to the full version of SFIA and legal aid (you never know when you'll need it).

-Ken

12. k89

k89 New Member

The overview for tax purposes is now at bcs DOT org/category/10494

I've just done this myself - it basically gives you £100 of tax relief I think. There are full details on the website.

if you are a UK tax payer, and pay your own membership fees you may be entitled to claim tax back on your membership subscription fee.

If joining BCS is necessary to carry out your work or is relevant to your job, members employed in the UK may claim tax relief on their subscription fee.
    Who cannot claim
    * Non UK tax payers
    * Life Members
    * Members whose subscription fee is paid by someone else (e.g. employer)

Higher rate taxpayers can claim 40% of their membership fee.
    Lower rate taxpayers can claim 20% of their membership fee.

13. k89

k89 New Member

[ignore - double posted by accident due to slow loading!)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011