Recommended Reading for 70-270?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by michael78, Feb 7, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

After I've completed my MCDST I'm going to crack on with the 70-270 exam has anyone got a book recommendation for studying this exam as from what I've read so far there doesn't seem to be many and what there is isn't meant to be good. Any advice???

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to start out with the Microsoft Press book on that particular exam. I also like to have something a bit lighter just to nail down the main concepts. The Exam Cram2 series is pretty good for this. Beyond that, I really couldn't say, not having studied for this particular exam.

Fear not. Some of the others will be along presently with their ideas. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I have the MS press book and have to say I find quite poor. I find it is like an instruction manual on how to do everything but It doesnt tell you why you would actually do it in any detail. Only having A+ as IT experience I am trying to figure out group policies and default rights/permisions etc to complete a transcender exam, I find it of little use at all for this.

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I was thinking about buying Mike Meyers' MCSE Windows XP Professional Certification Passport

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072225084/qid=1107987095/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0266946-8777214

& MCSE Training Guide: (70-270) Windows XP Professional (Training Guides)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789727730/qid=1107987095/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0266946-8777214

Has anyone bought these books or have anymore suggestions. For a popular exam I'm suprised at the lack of good books on the exam...:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Slypie,

The Mike Meyers books (Passport) for 70-270 & 70-90 are OK, but
    not in the same style as the A+ book which is a fun read.....
    They are very dry read like most of the other training guides & you will need to suppliment your training with another book as well....
    Not to sure about the other one.......

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  6. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I am just doing the 270 and have the Microsoft XP resourse Book (the 1700 page one!), Mike Meyers XP passport and Exam Cram 2 XP. I use the microsoft book as a referance to look up topics in more detail, the Mike Meyers book is my main read, very easy to read and understand, then after reading one chapter in the Mike Meyers book, I read the same chapter in the Exam Cram book, just to hammer it home!
    Also both books come with CD-ROM pratice exams - So I should have everything covered! Just booked my test for March 5th, will let you know if it works!
    Jamin.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.