For those who sat the Server+ & Linux+ 2009 betas

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For those who sat the Server+ & Linux+ 2009 betas

It looks like the next stage "Cut Score" will be:

Oct 19-23 2009 for the Linux+ and
    Nov 2-6 2009 for the Server+

So, most likely, we won't hear about the results until sometime after those dates.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers for the reminder Ken, I had almost forgot about that exam.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. freezapro

freezapro New Member

Update from the website:

CompTIA Server+ beta test takers: It took longer than anticipated to get the required 400+ beta exams taken.

We are now in the final stages of exam development, and the updated CompTIA Server+ exam is expected to launch in February 2010. Your score will be mailed to you at that time.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Any news on the Project+ beta Ken ? Looks like results will be late Jan 2010 ?

I hear they struggled to get enough people on all three betas, despite the programs being open for 6+ months in some cases. Any ideas why this is ? How big does the sample size have to be worldwide ? Is it that Comptia exams are really unpopular or what ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I had a Project+ beta voucher that I literally couldn't give away :blink

Security+ (probably because its recognised by MS for your MCSA/E) and Linux+ (probably because a lot of people haven't heard of LPIC) seem to be the only popular CompTIA certs over here, correct me if I'm wrong?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've heard plenty of stories from UK folks saying that the A+ and Network+ had helped them get jobs.

In any case, it doesn't matter how "popular" Security+ and Linux+ are: those two certs aren't that useful for entry-level jobs because they don't deal with entry-level job tasks. Use the right tool for the right job; if you want an entry-level job, get an entry-level cert.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have to say I think CompTIA are an absolute joke.

If I recall the exam was only open to 400 people, not 40,000.

How long does it take to get the results uploaded electronically and agree on the answers? Well so far over 6 months!

Perhaps the Server + 2009 should be rebranded Server Maybe Next Year.

CompTIA you are truley a cutting each leading world class organisation.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You know what I had a total memory block last night, sorry yeah A+ and N+ are well recognised entry certs to have too

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

You know what. Regardless of the recognition and potential value to employers why not focus on the certs value to you? Without the A+ I'd have had many gaps in my knowledge and most like not have gotten where I am as I'd still be struggling with concepts and info I'd skipped over. Going straight for the MCSE would have been like buying a Jag without batteries, spark plugs and only a provisional driving licence.

Can you imagine going from home computer anorak to enterprise level support solely off the back of the 270. Its possible I guess but you're gonna be on a very steep learning curve and most likely have to waft around first line positions for a while

It's in the detail. I like to take my time. Take it all in then go when I feel ready.

That aside Comptia are slow to send certs as well when you've passed anyway so I can only imagine how lame they are when sending beta exam results

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417