Mission Trip II

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BosonMichael, Sep 15, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Many of you provided prayers and contributions last year so that I could go on a mission trip to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Please know that I am very grateful for the assistance that you have provided. Thanks to your generous giving and faithful prayer intervention, we were able to teach English to students in a remote, impoverished area. More importantly, we were able to share the gospel with several teachers, one of whom accepted Christ shortly after we left!

The school district has invited us to return to teach at another school, so I plan to return with a group from my church. We are going to be interacting with an unreached people group, almost all of whom have no access to the Gospel. 99% of them do not have any knowledge of Jesus.

There are two ways in which you can help, both of which are extremely important:

• Prayers - First and foremost, I seek your prayer support for myself, for the mission team, and most importantly, for those who we will have the opportunity to reach. Spiritual battles are won because of prayers and lost because of the absence of prayers. Without prayer, we are relying on our own fallible human selves to do work that only God can do. Therefore, I ask that you would consider supporting me with a commitment to pray during the days leading up to and during our mission trip - prayers for safety, prayers for strength, prayers for encouragement and boldness, and prayers for salvation.

• Finances - Secondly, I seek your financial support. The total cost for the mission trip is $2000, primarily for airfare. I have raised much of the money by doing computer work, but I still have to raise the remaining balance. I am confident that God will provide for this need through your faithful giving.

Please prayerfully consider whether God is leading you to provide prayer support, financial support, or both. By providing support, you will be investing in eternity and helping us do work for God's Kingdom.

If you feel led to offer financial support, please contact me via private message or e-mail. For those in the UK, or anywhere outside the US, I can accept donations to my PayPal account. For those in the US, you can write a tax-deductible check directly to my church.

For those who want pics from last year's trip, please send me your e-mail address. If you have any prayer requests, please send them to me - I would be honored to pray for you as you pray for us.

I am excited to see what God will do AGAIN as a result of our obedience to Him!

All for His glory, not for my own,

Michael

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." Matthew 24:14

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

I would love to do something like that BM :biggrin

I will certainly be praying for you and all involved.

I'll see what I can do about financial support.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

If you did not post the same thing a year ago i would of thought you was joking, i have honestly never met a christian and i went to a church of england primarry school. I have no money but good luck in teaching english.

what country are you going to?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

PM sent Flameforker.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I give you my wholehearted respect and best wishes for what you are doing.
    I hope that you can make the world that little bit better.

Unfortunately I can't offer you finance or prayers, because I just don't do the religion thing.
    I hope you know me well enough by now to understand that.

Go well, my friend... :salut

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Much like Jonny I'm not really in a position to offer prayers or finance (being a heathen non-believer and all), but I do wish you well on your trip and I'm sure it will have a positive effect on those you meet.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

BM, drop me a PM with your pp addy...
    Might not seem a lot but, every little helps....

8. BosonMichael

I bet you've met some on here and just didn't know it. :) We're not an endangered species... yet!

The kids loved our teaching last year. It's a non-tourist area, so neither the students nor the teachers had ever had a real-life conversation with someone who spoke native English. We were given the rock star treatment after each class, mobbing us and taking pics with phones and cameras. They asked us to sign papers, books, clothing, body parts... :blink sorta intimidating! :ohmy

Best I can tell you is that I am going to a country in Asia.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. ericrollo

If i ever did any charity work it would be in the UK because it i would be able to help much more and they are still people in the richest countries on earth who need help. Just look around loads of people wasting their life doing nothing even in the USA especially in the south. If i flew to a country which did not even have food and loads of conflict was going on, it would not be worth it unless the country sorts it self out first. Like going to somalia, even if i was giving out food the people their would still try to kidnap me or behead me or something.

"like dogs biting of the hand that feeds them" (random quote i remember from somewhere)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2009
  10. BosonMichael

You act as if you can only help one place. My wife does missions work in the poor sections of the United States.

Mate... you've got a badly misinformed idea of what the southern United States is like. You know, the southern United States that I live in. :rolleyes:

I'm not there to "sort out a country". I'm there to help teach English to kids so they can have better opportunities.

You can do that in developed countries and experience the same thing.

That said, if you want to give out food in a dangerous country, you can do it with enough planning and preparation.

He gave us plenty. Or is the free gift of eternal life not enough?

Fair enough if you want to go in the name of Darwin or Babbage... but I have yet to see a single person go out and do good in the name of Darwin or Babbage. :blink

If you want to disparage Jesus Christ, please, do it somewhere else other than this thread, 'k?

11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Sorry BM, just seen this thread.

Best wishes for your trip. PM on its way re: financial help.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  12. BosonMichael

Thank you, Maria... info on the way in a sec. :)

13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Best of luck for your trip Michael. I think its brilliant that you are teaching kids English. I'm sure it would open a lot of doors for them that wouldn't otherwise be there. I already give a fair bit to charities but PM me your paypal email please mate. I can't spare much as my portfolio has taken a beating lately but it all adds up. James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. BosonMichael

It definitely does - every little bit helps!

Remember, prayers are just as important (if not more so) as financial contributions. Anyone can give money... but how many people actually take the time to pray on someone's behalf? :)

PM on the way, Jim. :)

15. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'll say one in church on Sunday for you and your expedition mate. Best of luck and safe journey

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Michael,

Please, PM me your email address so that I can send you something via paypal. God bless you as you continue to do he's will.

Onoski

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. BosonMichael

On the way! :)

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Michael, all done as stated earlier.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. ericrollo

Did not want to sound offensive, on the positive note more people will see your thread.

My idea was why go to the other side of the world to solve problems which are exactly the same as people are having in the same city you live in.

<rant>
    Technically i was a protestant christian when a kid which means that if i was born 400 years ago would mean that all Catholics would most likely want me dead including the pope him self. Guy fawkes tried to blow up the houses of parliament in the name of the pope. Spain tried to invade the UK because we were protestant "heretics". In a way its the same as Islam now but it was more extreme to an extent unprecedented now, like if the USA nuked India in the name of Christianity.

Christianity is based on a series of books wrote years ago i wonder if harry potter will still have billions of fans thousands of years from now so dedicated that they help and kill people in his name. Because harry potter saved all of us from lord voldermort in the same way Jesus Christ gave us "Eternal Life".

Teach people science and they will really save and improve lives in the form of doctors, computers and everything else we have.
    </Rant>

20. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

and on the above note that is as far off topic as this thread is going to go.

Lets not drift into a religous debate here, it's been done before.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong