Amazon are confusing me...

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Josiahb, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Apparently the fourth edition of Mike Meyers AIO exam guide for the Network+ certificate has now been dispatched to me, even though it still shows as a pre-order item on their site...

If it shows up then all those planning to go for the N+ under the new objectives you'll see a review (and comparison to the previous edition) once I've hada chance to have a look through!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Well, its arrived and my first impression is actually the size of it. Weighing in at 659 pages its shorter than the old edition by a hefty chunk.

The layout inside is much the same as every other Mike Meyers AIO with each section split into Historical/Conceptual and Test Specific with review questions at the end of the section to help confirm the informations going in.

After the usual what is Network+ and why do I need it intro in Chapter 1 the book launches straight into the OSI model, skipping the more general networking history and overview of the previous book. This can only be a good thing in my opinion as it allows you to get straight into the nitty gritty of the exam material, the Network+ is designed for those who already have knowledge of networks so that wide an over view should be unnecessary.

I'll be keep this thread up to date as I read through the book, if nothing else it'll help keep me on track with my studying!

3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Having already rattled through to chapter 4 I can safely say this book feels like an easier read than the previous edition, this may be partly down to the fact that coverage of older technologies is now very limited (Token Ring gets all of a paragraph for instance). The writing style seems a lot smoother and more relaxed which aids readability immensely.

I've also been poking around the contents of the CD and the materials on there appear to be of the same high quality I've come to expect, with the eBook allowing me to carry on studying today despite leaving the paper copy at home along with the practice tests giving me a hint that I've got a fair amount more studying to do before I'm ready to take the test!

CompTIA and Mike appear to have taken vendor neutrality fairly seriously with the new certification which is all to the good, the underlying technologies in networking are all heavily standardised so focusing on a particular NOS always struck me as counter intuitive anyway.

All in all the book continues to look good and I can feel information that fought to stay out of my memory before is starting to settle in and make its self at home!

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds like you're getting stuck in. Good on you :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I did order the book in February. It arrived to me at the end of June. Since than I am reading the book with passion. It is great. Very clear and well explained. However for me some topics are not explained deep enough. Like TCP/IP and some protocols which belongs to it. On the other side it explained in simple way things which I could not understand reading more comlex books. Like Kurose "Computer Networking
    A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet".Or CISCO books.
    Generally the book is excellent. In my point of view it is for people who do not need to have any knowledge about networking at all.It is at the end for N+ . So no need to get so deep into the topics.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it's probably shorter because some technologirs from the old exam are not in the new one due to them being less used these days all though they are still used in places.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

If you hadn't guessed my studying has slowed somewhat...

Still, I've been jumping around a bit in the book (largely because a lot of my study time I've only had the eBook version available and I can never remember what chapter I read last!). So I have now covered subnetting (very well explained, and reminded me of the wonders of binary math), installing a physical network (something I've had enough involvement in that I could probably have skipped the chapter), Ethernet basics (again, enough contact that this acted as a refresher).

All continues to be very well written and the lack of coverage of older technologies is making the whole process a lot easier, only having to get one huge collection of standards to stick is a lot easier! I'm updating now in an effort to avoid reading about IPv6, I have a worrying feeling it may make my brain hurt as I've never had any contact with it before....