Thinking about BCS membership but unsure of which level to apply for

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by JK2447, May 24, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi All,

I've noticed a number of you are members of the BCS and I'm considering joining up. I'm unsure if I should go for Level 4 MBCS or Level 5 CITP. I have worked in IT for 10 years, 8 years as a team leader in Mainframe Operations with a team of 8 until 2 years ago, now 5.

What do the BCS members among you think? Would you go for the MBCS level 4 first then upgrade to a CITP in the future? Is it easier that way? Or should I try for the CITP level?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James

*Edit: My reason for wanting to join the BCS is to support IT being recognised as a chartered profession in the same manner as Doctors, Architects, Lawyers etc.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Glad you're considering joining up :thumbleft

The MBCS and the CITP are two different things. The AMBCS, MBCS & FBCS are membership grades, whereas the CITP, along with the ICTTech, CEng, IEng, EngTech and CSci are professional registrations/credentials that state that you meet a certain level of work/responsibilities within that field.

To be honest, personally, I would apply for MBCS membership then apply for the CITP. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with applying for the CITP at the same time. I'm thinking more along the lines of financial. If you apply for the CITP along with the MBCS, if approved you pay the MBCS CITP membership rate. However if you apply for the MBCS and get that and then you get approved for the CITP, you don't pay the MBCS CITP membership fee until your next renewal, cheeky I know, but every little helps :biggrin

A person after my own heart - one who supports the IT Profession :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks very much Ken, I knew you'd answer this thread :biggrin

I'll go for the professional MBCS then work on compiling the projects etc I've worked on to go for CITP in the future. Very much appreciated mate. I think its important that the higher level IT workers / bachelors of computer science, go for CITP to help us establish our industry as a vital and recognised part of society.

I find it funny that we in IT and the BCS are fighting for such recognition when its a universal truth that computers are fast replacing humans in many area's of industry and business.

I have never been encouraged to join the BCS and am doing this of my own free will but when I do progress I think I'll be encouraging my staff to join. The more we as IT Professionals recognise the BCS, the more practitioners from other professions such as legal, medical, clerical etc will recognise us.

Wow, and I haven't even joined yet! Just wanted to voice my opinion which despite sounding it is humble.

Cheers

James

**Edit: BCS being the British Computer Society and applicable to the IT Industry in the UK

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ahem, damn that wagnerk beating me to it ! :oops: (me being a Branch Committee Member an all :biggrin )

Okey doke, yep, exactly as Ken said. Sounds a bit like your background is similar to mine and I applied and got MBCS. Two months later I then applied for CITP (which I also got). CITP requires you to demonstrate you meet SFIAplus Level 5 minimum. I've attached the document they sent me stating requirements for Levels 4,5 and beyond. When you get to it, PM me and I can give you an example of the "evidence" I had to submit (along with my CV) for my CITP application.

Now, I've just come back from the Members Group Convention so I have to be very careful what I say as most of it was private/confidential/embargoed. Let me say this, there are some big changes coming to the BCS (for the better imho) and these aim to make it more regarded like a "proper" professional body with greater recognition both in the UK and internationally. Having said all that, it *might* be an idea to apply for your CITP sooner rather than, say, later this year, just to have an easier application process :biggrin

Feel free to PM me (or Ken) and I'm sure we'll both do our best to answer any specific quesries you may have. Also, depending where you live there may be a small discount or faster application process - PM for details !

View attachment 1540

Oh, and here's your local branch : http://www.merseyside.bcs.org/

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Kitkatninja

Of course :lol:

And if we can't answer, for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure one of us can either find out or point you in the right direction :D

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks very much Ken, DarkStar. The info you have given me is way above and beyond what I expected!

I'm glad the changes in the BCS, whatever they may be, sound like they are going to take a more aggressive approach to getting our industry the recognition it deserves.

I'll let you two fine gentlemen know how I get on. I'll probably apply for MBCS membership then a few weeks later apply for CITP.

DarkStar, how did you become a committee member do you mind me asking? I'd love to go for something like that myself as I'm very passionate about my profession, as are you two.

Thanks for your advice fellas, PM's to follow :rolleyes:

James

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

np m8. I'd try to get along to some branch meetings/events and make yourself know to the current committee. Then you just volunteer and are either voted on at the branch AGM or get co-opted on in the meantime.

As has been said in other threads - you get out of it what you put in :p

(email sent too m8 )

8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Just a quick final update to this thread. I got accepted into the BCS as a Professional Member. It only took 5 days in the end :D Cheers, Jim

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Well done you ! So you're an MBCS now ?

Are you going to apply for CITP ?

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Nice one!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I sure am mate. Yep deffo going for CITP. I was going to leave it until the end of next week, is that too soon do you think DarkStar? Hopefully I shoud get it as the company I work for have projects for me to be involved with that are pretty much as big as an on earth, lucky me :D

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Hey that's great. Yep, push on for CITP. Don't forget when you login to the BCS Members area you'll now get access to the logos etc - sometimes they're a bit slow on updating your site access.

13. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ah Cheers DarkStar, I didn't know that about the logos :D

14. Kitkatninja

Congrats :)

-ken

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

They're tucked away in there and the BCS is *very* fussy about using them correctly :rolleyes:

Good to have a rummage in there tho' anyway - have you gone through to Books 24/7 yet ? Lots of stuff in there you have access to which can be very useful - tends to get forgotten by most people.

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have been thinking of joining the BCS for a while now so I just applied to join as a MBCS. Once that goes through I think I'll look at the CITP membership.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Do it sooner rather than later m8 (for CITP), *might* be an easier application process (moi ? I said nuffink !)

18. Kitkatninja

Cool, provided everything goes ok, want to go to the Np'ton AGM?

-ken

19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Aha ! More committee fodder ! :p

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, looks that way but I think I'll stick with this for now just so I can see what it's all about. Don't want to run before I can walk and all that. ;)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada