MCSE - 2k3 Books - Exams - 2008 Server & Vista? Exam Costs?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by kjs, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kjs

kjs New Member

Hi,

A while back I purchased the MCSE books and well you know never ended up reading them! They are the MIcrosoft Press books that come in a box set with Windows 2003 ENT 180 day trial CD.

The books are Exam 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294 am I right in thinking when I have completed these 4 exams I will have an MCSE? or do I need to do a client exam? Some people are telling me I have to do some XP exam in order to get the MCSE? What is the exam number for the XP exam?

Also with Vista and 2008 server being released will the MCSE be updated soon? When this happens is there an upgrade path?

Can I take the MCSE exams at any VUE test centre? Anyone have any idea on rough costs?

Many Thanks!
    K

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

In order to achieve the MCSE, you would need to pass your mentioned exams, plus an OS, and an elective as well, making it at least six exams in total.

A link can be found here

Are you in IT already?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ok, so you bought the books and never bothered to read them - did you ever check the requriements for MCSE ? Try HERE

MCSE doesn't get "updated" - an MCSE 2003 will always be an MCSE 2003

Details are already out for server 2008 - suggest you read up starting HERE

Microsoft exams can now only be taken at Prometric centres. You can find out about that HERE

If you really wnat to get ahead in IT then you could try searching these forums and using Google. We don't mind answering questions for newbies on here but it wouldn't hurt to have a go at trying to find the information yourself first ! :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. kjs

kjs New Member

Thanks for the replies and links guys, and yes I am in IT already I know how to use Google but thought it would be good to confirm my findings with some real people who had completed the exams and could possibly provide me with a little more knowledge.

Regarding a book for the 270 exam would this suffice http://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-paced-...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235394211&sr=1-9

So if I did the 2003 MCSE would I then have to do the 2008 MCSE in it's entirety?

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Check this link out here for the upgrade from MCSE to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator click me

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5