A+ Cost and time question

Discussion in 'A+' started by Yosh1, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

I'm guessing a lot of you have passed or are currently undertaking the A+. I was just wondering how long it took you and how much it cost. I realise that the idea is not to rush the course and pass well, I just wanted to get a general idea of how it was for each of you as individuals please.
    Appreciate your answer :D

Certifications: HNC Computing
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it took me a while but that was with work commitments in the way otherwise I reckon I could have done it in a couple of months.

As for costs if you visit www.gracetechsolutions.com you can buy to international vouchers (they must be international vouchers for the uk) for £107 each. You then register with pearsonvue on their website and use the vouchers instead of your debit/credit card you will also find your nearest test centres on the pearsonvue site. If you pay pearsonvue directly you will be paying £111 + vat per exam so thats about £250 or so as opposed to £214.

I also puchased the Meyers AIO and PC Technician street smarts (twice because my dog chewed some of it) I also got a cheap pc from a recycling centre for £60

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

I was new to IT and took 7 weeks full time self study. The Mike Meyers book cost £25 and the exams £262 in total.

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

It has cost me nothing but im still in full time education.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I went in cold without studying and passed. However, my situation isn't typical, so I wouldn't recommend doing the same. By the time I took the A+, I had been in IT in an official capacity for almost 6 years. Additionally, I was taking the exam at my employer's request (and at their cost) with no pressure from them to pass.

At the other end of the spectrum, I've known people literally take years to pass the A+ exams. You will likely be somewhere in between those two extremes.

I typically discourage people from asking, "How long should I take to study for this exam?", because no good can come from the answer. If you take longer than what you have heard is "normal" or "average", you will put undue pressure on yourself to hurry up and get it done. If it seems like it is taking less time than what you have heard is "normal", you will put undue stress on yourself thinking that you're missing something, so you unnecessarily overstudy. The truth is, your pursuit of IT certifications shouldn't be a race, nor should it be timed. You should study until you get a firm understanding of the concepts, and that takes as long as it takes - no more, no less.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

100 hours teaching at college
    100 to 200 hours homework and study

total time spent on the A+ 200 to 300 hours

i pretty much over did it i think, and got top marks every week,i was very clued up before i began the A+.And could almost have passed the A+ without going to college or studying.

college course price over £350
    exam prices each one £65 [with college discounts]

total study cost £500

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I had been in IT for around 6 months if I remember correctly, (it was a while ago), and it probably took me 3 months worth of studying. I did make sure I was completely ready for the exam before I went for it, and passed with high scores using the Mike Meyers 6th Edition and the Sybex A+ book.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I reckon I've done about 300+ hours studying, although not 300 hours hardcore studying. It's been a combination of reading, reading while taking notes, practical stuff, watching videos and practice exams.

Cost:
    Exams=£220
    Books=£20 (Meyers AIO and I got another book from a friend)
    Practice exams=£0 (I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time)
    Hardware=~£100, but some of that includes upgrading my existing PC.

Total about £350. Plus I have another PC which is more than rec spec for XP, so it'll come in handy for my Net+.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Great stuff! Thanks for the info.
    Thanks for the advice on the voucher ordering greenbrucelee

Certifications: HNC Computing
  10. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

You have a hnc in computing, thats gotta help mate. Just dont do what I have done, bought a cheaper quick expiry voucher from gracetech then had something else come up and lost motivation, that exam date has crept up on me so fast. Also the place I want to take it only do it one day a week (the day after my voucher expires :blink) so that lost me a week, so I pretty much started properly revising on monday 9th, every day all day going through to sun the 15th. Starting to burn out, I expect to be resitting the A+ but I will give it a go non the less. I have a ccna and some experience so hopefully I should scrape through, not what you want to be doing though, its all about learning so dont rush it like I have! :study