How long to study...

Discussion in 'A+' started by bertles86, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bertles86

bertles86 Bit Poster

First up hello everybody!

Now I know this question is essentially - how long is a piece of string...but bearing in mind I have a BSc in Software Development and MSc in e-Business, and I am very techie minded having built several computers and taken apart laptops for fun etc...how long should I study before taking the first exam?

Roughly I mean...6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months?

Cheers for any help!

Certifications: BSc & MSc
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

It depends really on how comfortable you feel. Take some practice exams, see how you do, and work on areas you need improving in. Practice Exams are your key to success.

A few books which are highly recommended are

• A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide
    • PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills

These are available from Amazon and Play, so shop around.

Good luck!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

The question is, what are you studying? :D

As someone with solid experience of taking apart PC's and building systems from scratch, I think that you could realistically have the A+ in the bag, in say... a couple of months, assuming that that's the way you want to go, of course?

And although it's an entry-level cert, and some of the topics you may already know well, even the most experienced tech on here will tell you that they picked up some useful info.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. bertles86

bertles86 Bit Poster

BB88 already got the Meyers book, what a tome!

Alex - I'm going down the standard A+ route the Technician one. And exactly the reason for me doing it is that I recognise it will fill in some gaps I've got. No-one's perfect after all!

So where do I find practice exams to have a crack?

Cheers.

5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

It all depends on your own study method & how well you take info.
    By using the practice exams you can gain an idea on how much you "really" know?

Why with a BSc & MSc do you want a basic techie qual like A+?
    Do you want to be able to work as a techie or manage those doing it?

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

In regards to finding practice exams, there should be a CD with your Meyers book, assuming you have the fifth edition that is; the CD is located near the back pages. The CD contains some practice exams.

Or if not, a simple search in Google turned up several sites which give you free practice exams

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/exams/index.shtml - Best one I have found.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=comptia+a%2B+practice+exams&meta=&btnG=Google+Search - Google Results.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  7. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

You could also try Cramsessions, I'm told they're supposed to be quite good.

Check out the free videos on Professor Messor's (a member of these very forums) site, too - they're pretty useful.

I'd say that if you're scoring around about 75-80% on the practice exams, book the real exam, as you're nearly ready to sit it.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  8. bertles86

bertles86 Bit Poster

Thanks for all the help people, I'll get on those later.

Mr Nurdy why am I doing the A+? Simple all the Helpdesk/Tech type jobs out there don't seem to give a toss if you have degrees coming out of your ears all they want is IT qualifications (A+ or MCSE etc) with experience. Somewhat annoying but understandable. As the tech route in is a stepping stone, I'm doing it now in the hope that my degrees come into play later in life and give me a leg up for promotions etc.

Cheers again.

9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Yes, it's a good thing to have.
    A+/N+/Server+/Security+ etc will help you break in to IT.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.
    Oh & this site will help you, it did me.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As long as it takes. Study until you understand the concepts, then take the exam. Truly, it's dependent on you... there's no way we can tell you how long you should take, even with a BSc, MSc, and a technical mind.

I'm somewhat biased in my opinion, but my username should give you a clue as to where you can look. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. bertles86

bertles86 Bit Poster

cheers folks, I'll get cracking on the MM book and come back when I need help!

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It should be the 6th edition not 5th.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. bertles86

bertles86 Bit Poster

Yup got the 6th edition with the CD, thanks for the help folks. I'll nip on time to time to get some help!