Passing MCTS 70-536 :- What I Did...

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by merrsh1, Sep 9, 2008.

1. merrsh1

merrsh1 New Member

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post back here after originally coming here about a month ago to ask a lot of questions about certification, whats involved etc. People were helpful to me so...

Took the 70-536 exam today and passed.

To prepare:

I bought the Microsoft study guide and read it cover to cover, twice.
    Bought a practice test from Measure Up, drilled all the questions till I could recite them backwards.
    Bought a practice test/application thingy from UCertify, see above comment.

Unfortunately, probably quarter to half of what was in the exam is never mentioned or explored in detail in the study guide. This seems to be a common complaint.

I would say that the best preparation is doing the mock tests to really get a feel for what the exam is like. In this regard, the Measure Up questions are much more realistic, accurate and thought out than UCertify; but the UCertify does have more questions.

Of particular help whilst studying were the MS webcasts, use your favourite search engine and type "MSDN WEBCAST + {topic}" you can usually find something.

And the 'nugget' series from Microsoft are good too:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/msdn/screencasts/default.aspx

Anyhow, good luck to anyone else whose doing the cert, I wish you well. 528 next for me, I shall report back!

Shaun.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

UCertify may have more questions... but they're known for their unethical behavior, particularly on forums.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. merrsh1

merrsh1 New Member

Didn't know that. To be honest the package they sell wasn't that good. Measure Up was better, use them.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's normal, the study guides don't cover everything you need to know - experience should cover it.

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. johnny_q

johnny_q New Member

Hi guys

I have been developing using.NET for close to two years. Around 5 days ago I started studying for the 70-536 exam using the MCTS 70-536 Application Development Foundation second edition book.

I am around 250 pages in to it. I plan on going through it twice and then practising using mock exams.

I am curious to know how long roughly measured in weeks did you guys take to study for the exam from start to when you first sat the exam. I know it all depends of the amount of effort you put in but just as a guideline I would like to know. For example were you ready in 3 weeks or 6 weeks?

Thanks

Certifications: 70-536
    WIP: 70-562
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Is it just me, or does it seem that merrsh1 and jonnyq are the same person? Seems almost like an advert for ucertify, very fishy ....

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Merrsh1 did say:

So probably not.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. mahad

mahad New Member

Hi all,

I have seen Transcender's MSCert: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework: Application Development Foundation (C#) study guide on their website and it is only $25. Can anyone comment it?
    I am eagerly waiting your comments. I have been Microsoft .NET Framework: Application Development Foundation training kit but I realized it is not enough for the exam.

Bye