XP SP2

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by punkboy101, Sep 8, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi all

I'm just doing the SP2 update on a test machine at work, and I was wondering if any of you that have updated have had any problems or issues with it, especially in a networked enviroment. I'm going to be doing some testing ect this afternoon, but I was just wondering what you lot thougth of it.

I'm not planning on doing the rest of the network till next week, as I've got so much on in the next few day's, so feel free to add to this in the next few day's.

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Andy

I've put SP2 on my machine at work, but as soon as it had done, I disabled the firewall and anything else to do with security. Network is protected by a H/W firewall so turned it off. The pop-up blocker can sometimes stop windows from opening but that is easily overcome.

Other than that no problems, but I have yet to roll it out over the network :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I put it on 14 PCs at work yesterday, and the pop-up blocker was the only "problem", in that some of our intranet sites use them, so I had to tone down the settings.

We have an ISA firewall on the network, and I have zero reports of conflicts since, and thats with the SP2 fire left on.

Only other thing I had reported to me was that MSN has to be "unblocked" to operate, and, separately, the Send Files option in MSN needs unblocked too.

Apart from that, a good move. And major brownie points from El Boss too :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok, spoke too soon.

We are testing SP2 on a couple of machines, namely the IT techs and it loaded and so far no probs. Disabled all security features so far so good.

On Saturday I accessed AD Users and Computers to make a small change to GP on my workstation, no problems worked a treat.

This morning we tried to fire up AD Users and Computers on the servers and guess what, No Can Do. Seems like Uncle Bill Gates has changed something with SP2 that I believe is supposed to give a more intuative error report (error reads that a string is too long exceeds 255 charactors). None of the servers or or pc's that access AD Users and Computers would work with the exception of mine.

Quick google turned up THIS gem. needs to be installed onto every machine (inc servers) that use AD Users and Computers.

Talk about a quick panic but sorted in the end.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Thanks AJ, that info will come in handy :biggrin

I don't plan to do the rest of the network till the end of the week, but I haven't encountered any problems on the test machine sofar, so I'm pretty hopefull that it won't cause any headaches.

Thanks all.

Andy

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Hmmm, some pretty common names on that list. you would think that MS would do a least some testing with things like Norton and Zonealeram!!:blink :eek:

Oh well, I suppose you don't have to make sure that your product update's don't cause headaches for your user's when they don't really have an alternative. Shafted again lol. :biggrin

Linux, here I come baby!!! :biggrin

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good link, NoelG - cheers.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity