dumb ass IT dept

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 15, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not gonna break any nda rules here I will word this question differently to go along with my story.

On the A+ I got a question similar to.

What do you do with your emergency backup tapes to keep them safe

A: leave them on a table in the server room
    B: secure them in a lock box in a locked cupboard away from the premises
    C: leave them in a cardboard box outside the computer room so the cleaners can chuck them in the bin.

Unfortunatley my IT dept chose C and has lost peoples personal details and because of this I have to suffer as they have implemented a really tight security protocol so I am not allowed in the server room anymore, so it will mean if the **** hits fan late at night I'll have to call one of them in.

I just pissed of the IT director again as I said to him "if you had hire an A+ certifieed tech like me instead of guy who used Braindumps then this wouldn't have happened".

He was not amused. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

I feel for you mate! That's the problem with paper certs huh!

I'm a one man IT Dept here, and they want everything done with no expense spent. Our "server room" is upstairs in the warehouse where it gets really cold in winter, baking hot in summer, with a leaky roof. When I spoke to them about moving the servers, they said they couldn't afford it. And when the servers go down who gets the blame? Who has to come in on his days off?

Sorry, this sounds like a whinge, but I needed to get it off my chest.

They should employ more people like you mate!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Lol :biggrin

I gotta admire you for sticking it to your boss!

But as for leaving the backups in a cardboard box, what a bunch of plebs! :eek:

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. greenbrucelee

unfortunately the IT director wants someone who will wipe his arse for him and thats not me.

You should do a report and get health & saftey involved (leaky roof, servers and electricity dont mix) then they'll listen. Tell them it'll cost more when it goes tits up than if you where to get it fixed now.

5. greenbrucelee

apparently it used to be a secure metal breifcase but it got lost and they would spen any money on a new one.:blink

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

You don't work in the DWP or MOD by any chance? :p

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

These IT guys, do they have a good friendship with the boss or something? because from what you've said in the past they screwed up numerous times. I know that in my department if I were to stupid things like lose backup tapes, etc I would be gone along time ago. It's just not how a network administrator should operate, mistakes like that if occur should not be by network administrator.

Now I don't know if they left the tapes accidentally and it was just a mistake that they forgot to pick up the tape when they left work. If it was done on purpose well then there's nothing else much to say, you pretty much said it all.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. greenbrucelee

they are good at what they do but they are very lazy sometimes and that is where the problems start.

9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If the current IT guys keep making mistakes the boss will get fed up of paying them for shoddy work eventually, then you’re in there!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. greenbrucelee

I wish :)

11. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

No offence, but do you really think the way to break into IT is to be a smartass and Pi@# people off who could, in the long term, be someone in a position to give you that chance?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  12. greenbrucelee

I don't think it matters what I say or do, I could save the servers from a clataclysmic meltdown he still wouldn't hire me.

My face doesn't fit, I have too good a rapore with other staff members and work collegues and he doesn't like that.

The IT director wants someone he can mould into a younger version of him, he also wants someone who has no sense of courtesy or outgoingness.

13. NightWalker

The stereotypical systems administrator :twisted:

14. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Be that as it may, you never know what is round the corner. Is it really professional in the working environment, regardless of the circumstances. Word can get round, you'd be surprised how many IT people hang out.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  15. greenbrucelee

The IT director wouldn't metion this as he would be embarrased to admit that he has cocked up. They are at this time trying to do a damage limitation exercise by sending out memos about security and about how people should change their passwords every 6 months and loggin off at night etc.

a bit late for security when you loose 500 peoples information including addresses and employee numbers.

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’m surprised they have lost the tapes, are any of them kept off-site?

Possibly some of them have been destroyed as sometimes tapes can show up as bad media and it’s just not worth using tapes that are going to cause problems.

If they have lost them.... ...FFS! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. NightWalker

If that happened where I work we would be the next government agency on the nine o'clock news...

18. greenbrucelee

the tapes were supposed to go in the metal brief case to be taken to a fireproof safe at another location, however some dumbass put them in a cardboard box out side the IT room and the cleaners chucked them in the skip.:blink

which often gets ravaged by gypos

19. greenbrucelee

that wont happen here since we report the news and the news can be distorted or mislaid all together.

20. NightWalker

LMAO, what are they looking for, lucky heather!