Multiple DC's?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by amphtech, Apr 6, 2008.

1. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

I was thinking of adding another server to my domain would you still be able to access your roaming profile if you had 2 servers in you domain and the main one was down?:rolleyes:

WIP: MCSE, MCSA, MCP
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The two things are not related (unless your profile share is stored on the DC that is down). A Domain Controller handles authentication, group policy and other things related to user accounts. You configure a home directory and profile via a user account in Active Directory, but the profile path does not have to be on a DC. Of course, if you DO configure the profile to point to a share on the 'original' DC and it goes down then, unless you are doing something clever with DFS< the profile won't be available.

HTH

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

is there any possible way to keep the roaming profile avalible even when the main server is down?

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You would need to set up a replicated file share - its called DFS (Distributed File System) in Windows - you can find information on setting it up here

DFS allows you to publish your file shares as load balanced shares on multiple machines. In essence, when used in conjunction with Active Directory, it allows you to replicate a share amongst different physical (or virtual) servers. This will give you the fault tolerance you seek.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

6. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

i hve set up DFS now what would i change the profile path to now would be domainname.local\users\guest\
    ?

7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I think setting up a two node server cluster would be the best way to achieve the requirement of having the roaming profile available when one server goes down.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs