Typical MBoard faults show as.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boots2k, Mar 19, 2008.

1. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

This is only an invitation for more experienced of you to give us newbes a consensus as to what symptoms (usually) point to a faulty motherboard.
    I know its not an exact science but if we can get a thread going there might build a consesus eventually.

any replies very welcome.

WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

mobo faults can be numerous things like knackered pins on the cpu socket or the speaker, voltage regulator switches set wrongly so it gets blown.

knackered pins on any of ports.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Well you say "symptoms"

I would say the biggest symptoms that you are having MoBo issues would be

1.your computer dosent turn on, at all

2.you get consistent stop errors (aka blue screen of death) of the hardware nature. If you cant tell the difference between a hardware stop error and a software stop error go back to school. (:P just kidding)

3.random, consistent reboots

4.does not find your drives, hence cannot boot into windows as it says your HD / ATAPI drives are not present, when you know darn well they are

those are all I can think of, anyone else?

WIP: N+, A+
  4. greenbrucelee

They can be hard to diagnose especiall when its random reeboots and BSODS, I had those happening last year I had to look at everything from the graphics card, mobo , RAM and the PSU.

I replaced the PSU after testing it with a multimeter as I was getting low readings on the 12 volt rails, if I had left it then the mobo would probably get destroyed.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Things failing. :) Errors, reboots, components not responding, a complete failure to boot, etc.

Sorry to not be more precise... but trying to diagnose whether you've got a faulty CPU, motherboard, memory, or power supply is one of the more difficult situations we have to deal with.

How can you most easily tell what's causing the problem? Test the components individually, and/or use the "replace and test" method.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

Yep to test any voltage faults you can use a multi meter, to test your ram you can use a piece of software called memtest86, if your graphics card is failing then you will probably tell by looking at the screen, or as BM says try replacing parts untill you find the faults.

7. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Eurosoft's PC-Check

its just beautiful, and always finds any issues i've ever had to deal with.

as for the OP's question, MB faults are so wide and varied its normally a case is instinct and intuition, reading relevent error messages/system logs and thinking logically.

if in doubt, type everything you know about the fault into google and hit "enter"

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  8. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

This EuroSoft deal looks pretty sweet. This may be a dumb question, but will it work outside of the UK?

WIP: N+, A+
  9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I've had numerous boards that PC-Check passed, that still caused the system to freeze and reboot. Replacing the board solved the issue.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs