Domain Hosting and Email

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, Jul 15, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok the thread about email sizes and consequent posts has started me thinking that I would like to make my internet presence a bit more professional as well as putting up the families web site as well (can you host more that one web site in your domain?)

Now in the ideal world I would like a domain name that is perhaps named after me ie www.andrewjolley.co.uk and also be able to give the rest of the family their own email addys, Andrew, Yvonne, Stuart and Lara.

I am a complete beginner at this and prob know precisely zip about it. I have put up family photo's on my free space with my ISP (NTL) using front page, but it is very basic.

So advice please. Who, How much, software to write the web site with, etc. Simple, no long words and not too many syllabals please. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I would say the first thing to check is if your ISP will host your domain, I cant see the point of buying web space when your ISP give you a chunk for free.

When CertForums was started I used the free space my ISP gave me and for a small low traffic site like your describing that would do fine. If they do host domains then you will need to find one. I use http://www.pickaweb.co.uk/ for my purchases as they are cheaper than buying from where we get our webspace but NTL may be as cheap.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Yes there are a couple of ways to do this

www.domain.co.uk/site1
    www.domain.co.uk/site2

or use sub domains

www.site1.domain.co.uk
    www.site2.domain.co.uk

Providing the domain is available you could have [email protected], [email protected]

Depends on excactly what you want to do? Dreamweaver is the very best application for designing sites (not cheap) frontpage will do the job.

Hosting starts from free (with ISP or using ones where they place there adverts on your pages) Depending on your requirements, depends on the cost.

The main consideration is how much space, bandwidth you want. (I do web hosting starting from £4 a month)

What ever you do ask lots of questions before you sign up to anything and get a clear measure of the costs a lot of people have hidden charges for example 1&1 advertise cheap and it is, but when you go to pay the bill you suddenly find you are wacked with a VAT charge on top. Be careful also where you buy domains from as some try and tie you in with there hosting, although this is illegal they get away with it by making it to complicated to transfer the domains elsewhere (1&1 prime example)

If you want any specific advice just keep asking and although I have made a small plug for myself I will happily answer any questions you ask with no obligation.

4. AJ

THanks a lot, I shall wait for more replies then start asking more questions :D

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi AJ

I use www.123-reg.co.uk to buy my domain name they are cheap. My web page is hosted on my ISP server. When you set up ur domain name you point it at ur ISP and bingo there you go. The also offer hosting services too

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

How did you get on AJ, I just purchased another domain from pickaweb this week for another project I'm starting, I haven't get any space yet so wondered if you'd found any good web space providers.

7. AJ

Still checking M8 but will let you know :biggrin

8. AJ

Still looking into this but found something that I want to check out first.

Web/Domain forwarding. Now I get something like 55mb of web space free with NTL. Am I right in thinking that if I register a domain name, this service will point the new domain at my NTL web space. If that's the case then as Si said why pay for web space when I've already got it for free.

Had a look at the service that NTL use ad that works out to over £25 per year (min 2 years total bill just over £50)

had a look at http://www.telivo.com and that was working out to about £25 for 2 years including hosting the email account.

and just priced up the site that sandy suggested and got a price of £6.09 for 2 years [​IMG]

one other query, how does email forwarding work. Is it just using an alias so that in my new domain i has [email protected] and i forward all mail to my main account with ntl. it says that there is unlimited email forwarding so does that mean the new domain could have an unlimited amount of email addresses forwarding to the email accounts i have with ntl. I think that while i was typing this I have worked it out for myself, but any thoughts guys
    ta very much

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thats pretty much it, AJ - NTL will be able to explain the finer points of what exactly "unlimited" means.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. AJ

Well I've done it. I have just this afternoon purchased the domain jolley.org.uk :biggrin

Did it through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

Got Web forwarding and unlimited email forwarding for the sum of £6.09 inc VAT, and that's for 2 years :biggrin .

So I'm a happy chappy now.

Thanks for the help guys and to Sandy for the link

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Sometimes the terms confuse me, is web forwarding where they forward any requests for your domain to wherever you specify?

Do you have your webspace with 123-reg.co.uk?

12. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Yes basically you can forward your mail and domain name to another address.

They are probably one of the better ones to register with in my opinion, not always the cheapeast, but sometimes it does not always pay to be cheap.

13. AJ

Yes mate, after I registered, I was able to setup the redirection through their DNS servers. Chose to have my domain name to remain in the address bar rather then the NTL address, so you always see the www.jolley.org.uk name.

No web space with that price so that's why I'm using their web forwarding to my free isp web space and using that. If I ever out grow my free space then I shall think about it then.

Now to redo my CV, homepage and all the other bits and bobs I want on there :eek:

Oh and thanks a lot for you help again guys :biggrin

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Always glad to help :D

15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I see now, the domain www.jolley.org.uk is held by 123-reg.co.uk and they create a frame set to point to your NTL webspace, notice how the address never changes from www.jolley.org.uk no matter where you are in the site:

This is the HTML that 123-reg.co.uk use to cloat the address:

HTML:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <html><head><title>www.jolley.org.uk</title></head> 
    <frameset rows='100%,*' border='0' frameborder='0' framespacing='0'> 
    <frame src='http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.jolley//' name='mainframe' frameborder='0' noresize='noresize' scrolling='auto'> 
    <frame frameborder='0' scrolling='no' noresize='noresize'> </frameset> 
    <noframes><body> Sorry, you don't appear to have frame support. 
    Go here instead - <a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.jolley//">www.jolley.org.uk</a> </body> </noframes> </html>
    Basicialy that is your real domian http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.jolley/ and they have created a framed page to encapsulate your website into www.jolley.org.uk. A little odd but as long as your not going to be hosting anything you want search engined then you should be fine.

16. AJ

Cheers for the explaination Si, clear as mud :blink lol

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

LOL :oops:

Basically you have your domain cloaked over your webspace and not hoted over it. If you want to get the content indexed into search engines then you may find that they wont index anything at www.jolley.org.uk as all that is there is that tiny bit of HTML in the other posts. You may get content indexed if you submited the NTL URL though. :blink

If your not building a site there that you want to be indexed by search engines then no bother really.

18. AJ

Cheers M8