Computrain-uk

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by funkodrunko, Jan 24, 2008.

1. funkodrunko

funkodrunko Bit Poster

Hi

For about 2 months now Ive been getting hounded by this company on the telephone. They first called and offered a fast track to a MCSE after doing the ECDL then A+, all in 6 months. If this wasn't good enough, they guarentee you a job where you start on £23k and after a couple of years you can be on £46k. Brilliant.

I have to admit, I was tempted. I didnt have a clue. Then the chap mentioned that it costs £5500. I tried to find some info on the company but couldnt. they have an 0800 number on their website, when you call it, the same guy answers all the time, or its engaged. Surely such a large company would at least have 2 members of staff. They started to sound like crooks. Then the 'senior careers consultant' advised me that if I didnt accept the place by a certain date, it'd be lost. I was happy to lose it. A few weeks later he was back on the phone again, again saying 'last chance...etc'. Sounds like BS to me.

If someone was to be drawn in by the promises and then found out that they didnt get a job at the end, even if they did manage to complete the training, how would this stand up legally?

I think there should be some kind of watchdog that helps people guard against crooks like this, what does everyone else think?

Certifications: HND Computing, BSc Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

funkodrunko

I would ask if it would be possible to speak to former students and see what their experience was with the company. Never heard of computrain but that does not mean anything there are many small training companies around.

Go around to their offices and training rooms and ask to sit in for a hour or two to get a feel of the place, don't part with any money unless you are 100% satisfied, oh as for the job guarantee you can forget it, read the T&C's and you'll find more clauses than you can shake a stick at

Caveat emptor

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The next time they phone tell them to get lost! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. funkodrunko

funkodrunko Bit Poster

The guy was trying to get my bank details to do a credit check at which point, I politely asked him to 'go away'

Certifications: HND Computing, BSc Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Even if they were legit, a tactic like that would keep me away or at least pay them a visit and see the operation first hand. :dry

6. Paul Petrou

Paul Petrou New Member

These guys are cutthroat. Total scam.. steer clear. How can anyone garuantee a job unless they are going to hire you themselves!!!!

Kept calling and asking for money. Seems like the guy was so desperate to get me to sign up and kept giving me deadlines, but when I said no these "deadlines" kept cchanging:eek:!!! Quite commical really.

Eventually went with a different company for an MCSA and am quite happy with their service (they didnt offer a garuanteed job!!)

Stay away from these guys.!!!!:twisted:

7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Computrain is a Dutch firm. AFAIK they do not have an office in England. I think it is a fraude.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed they look very suspect indeed. £46k in most of the country is likely a salary for seasoned pros, not for your average man off the street. In fact many people may not be capable of ever reaching MCSD standard, its a career for devoted analytical, engineering types, not a cash cow to be milked by clueless chancers, any company selling a career in IT this way is highly dubious. The old adage 'if it looks to good to be true...', spending a large whad of cash is no substitute for real learning or experience, you cannot, nor should you try to 'buy a career'.

9. HenryBS

HenryBS New Member

Hello there,

I was recently contacted by this company myself and as you have stated they were offering me the MCSE course for £2400 of which I would have to pay £1200. As you may of guessed i was extremely sceptical at this so i decided to do a bit of back-ground reading on them in forums (such as this one) and had a browse through their website.

One thing that really interested me the most (after reading these comments of course) is that on their website (www.computrain-uk.com) they have no form of contact information other than their phone number, which by the way is an 0845 number... this seemed really strange to me as i have never come across an agency/employer/training organisation that has not had a wide range of contact details readily available...

Am I just being paranoid? well anyway since then i have decided not to go ahead with their offer...

10. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

i passed there online exam they had a good few years ago and got called for months about it

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+