Want to start CCNA course and know about commsupport.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by gift07, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gift07

gift07 New Member

Hi every one,

I want to take CCNA training. I have seen a lot of providers online but Commsupport Network seems good. Just want to know if any of you have any experience about Commsupport. Do you think 5-6 days course enough to learn and pass CCNA? I will appreciate your valuable comments.

Thanks.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Basicaly - no. Unless you know most of it already and need to fill in the gaps.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

4. gift07

gift07 New Member

hi Harry,

thanks for your comment.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What Harry said, do you have any IT experience at all?

You should have some experience with Cisco kit in a job before doing the CCNA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. MrKif

MrKif New Member

Hey, i am doing my CCNA with commsupport at the moment and i have to say they rock!!! The instructor knows his stuff and does alot more than is needed just to pass the CCNA. He will get you to do labs, send you away and bust your lab then ask you to fix it.
    The guy teaching me, Joe seems really enthusiastic and honest as well. They do 2 types of course, the 5 day one or the same course taught over a series of Sundays and a Friday. I have 2nd line experience but not much cisco at all and he advised me not to take the 5 day course but to do the weekend one instead. That way i get to read up on what we have learnt and also prime myself for next weeks class. He knows he may loose a few students this way, but he would rather have you learn it properly.
    Beware though, he is a slave driver and expects you to do around 2-3 hrs work per night every night on top of course attendance which is around a 10 hour day but it's all good as he really wants you to pass. His mantra is he wants to create network engineers, not paper ccna's so he focuses a lot of practical work as well as theory. On average i'd say half the day is theory and half lab.
    If you can get hold of cisco kit then good, but if not he supplies all ccna students with a top sim that is far better than any of the others i have used. He also ensures you get 2 routers and switch each so no waiting round for others to finish labs. You also get the proper Cisco manuals, not some shonky textbooks!
    I got badly ripped off by Amraf for my MCSE (1 decent MCP, the rest were taught out of a book before they dissapeared with my cash) so have been very hesitant to book any other courses and certainly would not reccomend Commsupport if i wasn't happy with them.
    Joe himself will tell you, just 5 days in his class with no previous experience will 1) not get you a pass in the CCNA exam and 2) will not make you a network engineer. You will need to supplement his class with lots of reading and lab work at home as well. Don't believe any school telling you they will make you an CCNA or network engineer in such a short space of time, it's impossible!

WIP: CCNA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you don’t get the CCNA or become an IT engineer (hee hee!) then what is the point? Surely you would be better off saving the cash and buying some different training products for the CCNA?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

sniff sniff...

My SPAM detector's going off...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. MrKif

MrKif New Member

"sniff sniff my spam detector is going off".:rolleyes:
    Can i kindly suggest you see a spam detector engineer then. The question someone posted was regarding how good commsupport were, i answered based upon my experiences so far. Sorry if i mistook the idea of the forum to exchange information and to answer questions.

10. MrKif

MrKif New Member

as a base for more study i.e you need to do more than just sit in the class for 5 days. You need to read and do labs yourself. What i was trying to say was ther is no way anyone can make you a competent network engineer in 5 days from scratch. Seems to me there are alot of people out there wanting shortcuts that dont exist and alot of dodgy firms willing to cash in on that.

11. greenbrucelee

Does this place also tell their students that without relevant work experience (a year in a real job working with cisco kit) is virtually usless as no employer in their right mind will employ someone to work on their network with no experience regardless of their level of certification.

12. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

A good introduction into CCNA would be to do both Cisco IT Essentials 1 & 2.
    They would both give you an understanding of Cisco, how the exams are done and above all prior knowledge.
    CCNA can not as other have stated be taken in 5 days, most semesters take 1 term at most UK colleges.

If your new to IT & PC's then doing the 2 IT Essentials courses coupled with CompTIA A+ would give you a head start, good all round knowledge and above all the skills to take and pass CCNA.

If when your doing CCNA you find it difficult and it is, if you do the first 2 semesters plus some extra reading up you would have the knowledge to take the CompTIA Network+ exam. And build from there.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  13. GW

GW Byte Poster

Actually, I got laid off at the end of December since the company I worked for merged with a company in another part of the State and that company is moving all of our products to their headquarters so the IT Department was the first to get the axe.

So far two of the interviews that I've gone to that they are working on offer letters for me (company's are doing more background checks now a days so it takes a few days before they are allowed to make an offer) they are going to have me work on Cisco kit even though I told them I have little to no experience with Cisco but they are willing to train.

I'm finding many companies like having someone who has a CCNA even with little to no experience because then they believe you have the bare basics and they will train you to work on their kit.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  14. greenbrucelee

I hope you mean you go laid off :)

Its good that they are willing to train you up on the cisco gear but what I was meaning to point out that a company won't wont let you loose on your own on their network with or without the CCNA.

In the UK we are bombarded all the time with TV adverts saying get this cert with us and you will earn 37k a year with no experience which we all know is BS. If these training providers would say we will get you a jon were you will get training to go with your certification then that would be better and not give people the illusion that IT is well paid from the start and easy, which it isn't.

15. MrKif

MrKif New Member

Put it like this, he doesn't make any promises of employment and certainly doesn't tell people they will be getting jobs based on CCNA qualification. He actually went into one the other day about some other firm who make employment offers, his argument being that how the hell would a training company be able to tell you were a competent engineer based upon the fact you paid for a training course.
    I don't think its fair to brand the CCNA as "virtually useless" without the experience. It provides a good starting point and if you already work in an IT role you can use it to leverage a sideways move into networking with your present employer. Alot of places now also get kit out and expect you to fault find as part of the selection process
    Personally i shall be using the qualification, along with my previous experience in 2nd and 3rd line to be able to blag a job.

16. GW

GW Byte Poster

It would have been better the other way, but yes I got laid off :) It depends on the company, some of the smaller companies I've been to don't have an IT Department so they just hire someone who sells a good song about their IT skills and they let that person to do everything. But the larger sized companies who have an IT department tends to have closer supervision and/or training to make sure your not going to bring down the whole network.

Here in the states I don't see any commercials for certifications (I could be just missing them) most of the advertisements for career advancements are for tech schools like ITT Tech or other field related schools (medical, construction, automotive repair, ect).

To find a decent certification school in my area that wasn't New Horizons (expensive 4-5 day courses) I had to do some major searching but I found a really good one that isn't that expensive but they are realistic, they don't promise large amount of money upon completion of the certification but they do everything they can to get you skilled.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  17. greenbrucelee

Sounds like you found a good one there :D

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, mate... we get a lot of first-time posters who "support companies" who are really nothing more than employees of the company in question.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. blackninja36

blackninja36 New Member

Hi there,

I went on the CCNA course with commsupport in the summer and was very very disappointed.

Level of equipment was fine, but you had to supply our own laptop (which he told me a week before start).

Every 10 - 15 minutes he would answer his phone and we seemed to have a very lot of breaks, (Joe the owner/trainer was always going out for a cigarette or with his phone).

Room was flipping freezing, everyone complained.

Course promised a lot of break and fix, but it only happened once - at the end of the day.

And the last day was a waste as the IPSec lab would not even work - day wasted.

Mostly power point presentation.

My advise is to look up Chris Bryant at www.thebryantadvantage.com

You will not be disappointed, I promise you and you will save a bunch of cash too.

20. greenbrucelee

SPAM SPAM