One of those f*#@king days.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Nov 23, 2007.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I guess that we've all had them, "one of those days".

I'm having one of them now. It's friday night, 11.30 pm and I'm still stuck here at work. I was supposed to install some MS updates, the antivirus and backup exec on the DC and the Exchange servers. I planned to be out of here at around 8pm.

Now the whole exchange server configuration seems to have "disappeared" into nothingness.

It looks like I'm here for the night.

F*çk.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nugg,

Walk away for the night and go home. Return tomorrow with a fresh mind.

Trying to take your mind off something often helps you find the solution.

8)

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Would you like caffeine, or chinese food?

For entertainment value, I can physically and verbally harass anyone else that enters the thread for you?

Or do a handstand?

Or... err... sorry. I run out of ideas quickly. :oops:

How about a hug instead? :hug

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Know what you mean mate.

I’ve had to work through the night when things have gone wrong to get a server back on-line for the morning. Its just part of the job I guess.

Whats up with Exchange? Hope it isn’t a patch that has caused the problem, I need to patch up a few servers next week.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Would be really nice mate but the weekend was fully booked with the kids and my father in law's birthday.

I'll take it all.:biggrin

Greedy little bugger ain't I?

Not too sure what caused it Sparky. Could have been the friggin' backup exec causing it. :dry
    It's somehow lost the connection to the domain too, although it did still find the shares on the fileserver.:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  6. Sparky

Backup Exec screwed IIS for me a few weeks ago, is webmail working?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Someone upstairs must love me for my dedication. Just got it back online by restoring last night's system state backup. Looks like I'm going home after all.:biggrin

8. Sparky

The joy of backups! Now go home and have a beer! :biggrin

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Got no beer at home.:(

I might be able to pick some up on the way though.:biggrin

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, still here and I just did it again. It's definately backup exec causing the problem.:x

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats Nugg, dontcha just love days that go like that. :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Sparky

You reinstalled it? Take the beer and run! :biggrin

Seriously though, what version are you running and do you have the plugin for Exchange?

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It seems to be screwing up the AD connections somehow.

I have version 11d with the exchange agent. I'm doing the "remote agent install" and I thought that I was installing the exchange agent. When I make the remote install agent (from 32 or 64 bit version) it looks like it only creates a 32 bit version and I don't know if it is an agent for exchange.

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, I've got it back up and running and now I'm pissing off home. Bugger the updates and backup exec.:x

15. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Sounds like a real bastard. It always happens that way, you plan to get something realtively straight forward done after work and it all just goes pear shaped. I remember getting stuck at work until about 8pm one night trying to get a machine to log onto the domain that refused to because it said that the client and server clocks were not synced. They were both reading the same time but had different GMT +10 timezones selected. Something so simple caused me so much grief...

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  16. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Specially when you think " will be a 10 minutes job ".

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  17. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I remember one Sunday night a few years ago... was just sitting down to watch Corrie Street with an ex-GF (no, she wasn't an ex at the time!) and I got a call from the hotel receptionist at the college I was the IT support for.

Apparently, they couldn't get a any info from the server and had a load of delegates arriving on the Monday morning, so I had to go in.

To cut a looong story short, the server only had RAID 0 on it (don't blame me... not my decision). One of the disks was buggered, so I found another disk (w00t!) eventually, decided to use RAID 1, and managed to restore the data from backup.

I eventually got home at about 2:30 on the Monday morning.

I know how you feel... don't you just love IT? YESSSS!!! :D

18. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

famous last words?

everything seems to be fine? :)

thx for the warning I'll probably wait with exchange update till next weekend.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA