70-621 Feedback

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by simongrahamuk, Jul 23, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well I sat the 621 upgrade exam today and failed with a score of 642. I'm not too down hearted about it though since I only decided to sit it because of the reduced price until the end of September.

This exam was pretty much what I was expecting, and I think that had I given myself more study time may have done better, but unfortunately life managed to get in the way as it usually does!

What I didn't expect was for it to be seperated into two parts, the 622 part and the 620 part. Rather than in previous MS exams that I've done where it was all a single exam that you could review all of the questions upon completion, you did one half and then reviewed before moving onto the next part.

The materials I used were:
    Vista (obviously)
    The Sybex 70-620 book
    Windows Vista In a Nutshell
    The exam requirements page of the MS site.

Where I went wrong was with the 70-622 section of the exam as was reflected in the score sheet. Had I sat the 620 exam rather than the upgrade exam then I believe I would have passed as my scores were strong in that category. Big thanks to BosonMichaels book for good material for that section. The problem was that at present there is no material available for 622, hence a lower score in that section.

One thing that I will say is that this exam was much harder than the MCDST exams and your knowledge is expected to go into far greater depth (Good call on MS's part if you ask me).

What next then? I'm undecided, I may wait until the 622 material comes out and then go for it again, or I may just go for the 620, and then do 622 later in the year. But for now I'm just going to get ready for the challenge of a new Job.

Hey ho! :biggrin

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry to hear about the fail :( You're right the 70-621 is a harder exam than the MCDST, see here.

That is alot more than the requirements for the MCDST (I agree mate, a good call on MS's part). When I did the 621 exam, imo, it was hard but fair. And even though I sat the 621, I still have to sit the 620 if I want to achieve the MCITP: EA in the future.

Let us know what you decide, and besides since you've taken this exam, you'll be more prepared now for the next time (regardless if you go the 621 route or the 620 & 622 route).

Good luck for next time.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's unfortunate that 70-621 doesn't provide credit for 70-620 for the EA certification. I'll bet that will change when EA is made available and more people complain...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja

Knowing my luck it'll change after a achieve the MCITP: EA :dry

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hang on guys.. if you pass 621 you get TS:Vista (620) right? And this is a requirement for the new Enterprise Admin cert - surely they wont make you take the 620 if you have passed 621? :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Kitkatninja

On trika's blog it states that even though the 621 exam covers topics for the 620 (and the requirements for the MCITP: EST) it doesn't count toward any other MS cert. I'll try to find which post actually states that when I get home.

-ken

7. BosonMichael

It gives you the same certifications as passing 620+622... but it doesn't count as having taken those individual exams. Which is strange... the upgrade exams in the past have always been usable for substitutes for the individual exams they cover...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Simon thanks man! Looks like this is a lot tougher than i expected! So you saying the exam is split in two: one covering 620 objectives and the other 622 - and you told which part you finishing etc? So if thats the case im gonna use the 620 and 622 objectives as well in conjunction with 621...

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You don't get told which part you are doing, or finishing, but you sure can tell from the questions! :biggrin

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so the exam isnt seperated into 2? its just the 2 exams - in one? :rolleyes:

11. BosonMichael

Simon, are the modules timed separately?

I've heard that the SQL Design exam is split into two sections as well - a simulation portion and a multiple choice portion (I believe it was Tinus who brought this to our attention). And from the looks of the score report, the lowest-scored section determined the overall score (meaning, obviously, if you fail one section, you fail the exam). Simon, you may not know the answer to this, but does it look like your score is an average of the scores you would have received had you taken the 620 and 622 exam sections separately? Or does it look like your score is based on the lower of the two exam section scores (likely the 70-622 section)?

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To answer both Michael and Zimbo's questions:

The exam was timed as a single exam, I didn't pay much attention to how long.

I was told at the start how many questions there would be on the whole exam.

I then started answering questions and noticed that there were less than half of what I had been told there would be. I answered the questions and was given an opportunity to review my answers. The next section of the exam then began. At no point however was I told from which set of objectives for the single exams I was looking at (you could tell from the Q's though).

Upon completing ended the exam as normal and went off to get my score sheet to see where I had gone wrong.

The score sheet was simply broken into two sections: TS and ITP. My score was lower on the ITP section. The score sheet to me looks asthough it is worked out as a percentage of my total score on both objectives.

8)

13. BosonMichael

Ah, so it doesn't look like they're scoring it the way the SQL Design exam is rumored to be scored. Excellent.

Simon, your feedback has proved to be top notch, and will be very valuable to our exam development efforts. Many thanks!

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So like i said you would recommend i follow the 622 requirements as well? I think then an extra resource book is needed! 8)

15. BosonMichael

Of course you would... 621 = 620 + 622.

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i always have but now im certain im doing it better this way! 8)

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah Zim I'll definately recommend you study the 622 stuff aswell, unless a good 621 book hits the market before you plan on taking the exam. Thats where I went wrong, focusing my studies on the 620 aspect of the exam due to lack of available resources.

Like I said originally though, more study and I think I would have made it! :rolleyes:

18. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Can anyone confirm the status of the 40% off deal? I just tried booking the exam and found I could book for a date AFTER to 30th September? Is it that you have to book by then but can sit the exam later?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  19. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

OK.. does anyone think it's actually possible to pass this exam without the 622 press book (which I'd usually use)?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP