Fat32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Software' started by catch20who, Jun 21, 2007.

1. catch20who

catch20who New Member

So I've followed all of the instructions and then posted on techzonez.com, but no one listened to my problem.

This is exactly what i do:

Step 1: Open cmd prompt from the start menu.

Step 2: Type in without quotations "convert c: /fs:ntfs"

Step 3: Press ENTER

Step 4: Read the line: The type of file system is FAT32. Enter current volume label for drive C:

Step 5: Type in without quotations "C"

Step 6: Press ENTER

Step 7: Read the error: An incorrect volume lable was entered for this drive.

I've tried more extensions on the command include /nosecurity, /v, /x. I've tried C, c, C:, c:, drive c, drive C, drive c:, drive C:

Nothing is working and I do not know why.

Please help.

2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Does your C drive have an altered volume label? For example, I often partition my drive with C: being System and D: being Data.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah, the volume label is the name you have gave it, if you havent got a volume label, then just leave it blank and press enter

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. catch20who

catch20who New Member

I figured it out, I have a volume label name, I just did not realize that I had been staring at it for quite some time.

I want to know now, however, how to change the drive partitioning so that I can install an OS on the second partition and move the current OS all to the first one. Basically I have C: and D: and D: has music on it that I can get rid of so that I have space for a Linux OS. Where do I start?

Is this the right forum for that question?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that unless you use a disk partitioning application, you'll have to remove and recreate a partition to change the size of the partitions... and that will remove all the data on the partition.

Most importnat thing you can do is to be sure you've got a backup somewhere before you do ANYTHING... whether it's deleting and recreating a partition, or whether you're using a disk partitioning app... I've seen partitioning apps "accidentally" destroy the data on a partition, and the user didn't have a good backup before shrinking or extending the partition.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If D has music and nothing else on it then you should be able to remove the partition in 'Disk Management' with no problems.

If there is anything else there you need to consider what it is and whether removing it will be a problem.

The reason is that any reference in your apps to drive D will then be invalid.

And BM's suggestion of taking backups is very important. Messing with partitions can be dangerous!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+