I've got myself that next job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by PaulC, Mar 20, 2007.

1. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

After going for about 5/6 interviews at various places, I finally got the call at the end of last week, I've now got myself a position working for a small company doing IT support.

I'm basically the 'IT guy' and above me is just the Operations Manager. Day to day tasks will include your general software and hardware issues and project work. I've also been advised they're having some server changes and I'd be tasked with building and setting up the server and maintaining there 2 domain controllers and exchange server. Overall max 50 desktop users.

So it's a great step up from my present service desk role and a good step in my career ladder which is server/exchange support. Best of all, they'll give me full training and were after someone competant but willing to learn and who wanted a challenge rather than someone who knew everything, so I obviously came across well in the interview. Start date 16th April. :D

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Great news, well done and good luck.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds exactly like my current job! I hope they're not replacing me without telling me :) lol... just to be sure, its not in East London isit? :D

You'll love it mate, big congratulations on landing the role!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on that! It's the sort of job I enjoy - lots of variety!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Great news! Congrats on the job! :biggrin

6. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

congratulatoins mate - sounds like the perfect job!!

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  7. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Well done on landing the new job. best of luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  8. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Thats great news PaulC - let us know how your getting on after you have settled in.

Buck...

Certifications: N/A Nearly got a Degree
    WIP: A+ N+
  9. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

fantastic mate....well done...bit jealous myself as that's the thing i'm looking for but still keeping the faith here...

let us know how it all goes....

Certifications: 271
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Guys, this is EXACTLY how to go from an entry-level IT job to a more advanced role, in preparation to get a job as a full-blown network or Exchange admin, then as a senior network admin with security and routing responsibilities. Paul's doin' it the right way, folks... and from all indications, he's setting himself up for his NEXT step quite nicely.

Congrats!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. andy-d

andy-d Bit Poster

Congrats dude! Lots of green faces around here! :p We'll all get there one day though, i'm sure!

WIP: A+
  12. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Big Congrats.

Now you can take the Ferrari off the wish list and order it for real.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Great and interesting news, congratulations. I guess it is all paying off now hence I'd say keep on keeping on as one day would be your day. It is yours now, well done:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

nXPLOSi, well ... No actually, it's in Grt Manchester.

Thanks. I was offered this job and also a role for a big financial firm, but ultimately the job for the big firm, while offering far better overall job perks like pension package, slightly better hours and all the polish and gloss those kind of companies give you, it would have been exactly like the desktop job the engineers did when i worked for IBM/Manpower, ie. 90% of the time you change toners and clear print queues! This job will take me out of the comfort zone and I'm sure I'll get stuck a few times but for my career it will be great. What you've said there is exactly what the recruiter said. Give it 2 years and finish your MCSAs off and you'll be well prepped to go into the field you want to go into.

I'm off on hols 6 weeks after I start, so will post just before I go about how I'm getting on. I'm sure if I get stuck on any server related stuff i'll be posting the question here.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Excellent mate, congrats :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, looks like you will get loads of hands on experience. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats mate. Sounds like a great job. :D

Good luck with it. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685