A question for linux users.

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by nugget, Jun 29, 2006.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do those of you that use linux servers at work have them set up simply as file, print and/or web servers or are there more possibilities?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you can create proxy servers using squid... mail servers (using postfix, dovecot,Squirelmail,Spamassasin,ClamAV) - which you let you even access email over the net... DNS servers using BIND, Database servers using MYSQL, Fax Server (http://www.aboutdebian.com/fax.htm) , firewalls using Linux versions such as IPCop.... which runs DHCP too!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And the list of possible servers goes on (and on).

:biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's kind of an interesting question, probably assuming that Windows fulfills all of the server roles. Remember, Linux is basically UNIX with a new suit and UNIX is the absolute dinosaur of servers, going back decades.

Frankly, Linux servers can do anything Windows servers can. They can be web, mail, file and print, DNS, DHCP, Application, Terminal (I just wrote a 4 lesson course on thin clients and blade servers that included Linux terminal and application servers for Linux thin clients).

Here's a short article on the subject:

http://www.entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=5682

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

good link trip... What would you say the market share is at the moment? 50/50 70/30?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i would think MS still has the majority share in the server market.. what that share is - im too scared to guess! :rolleyes:

As more and more people learn linux (younger IT pros - like myself) - then we can see more people implementing linux servers. here at work every mail server built this year is using linux and open source packages like postfix... firewalls using IPcop.. squid instead of ISA server... but you have to know how to support them too and thats the tricky part..

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

that is where IT pro's could shine. Can you imagine in the not too distance future companies *wanting* linux server/client setups? In Wales it seems to be good to have a business supporting MS stuff never mind Linux....

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

:blink

are you serious about the "future" part? many companies, more than you obviously think, already have linux server/client setups.

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yes, but Linux doesn't have the main share in the business place yet does it....

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

don't underestimate the penetration of the unix family members in the business market. really, you would be surprised. granted, they still have a long way to go on the workstations, but even on that level they are getting there. why do you think so many windows admins, including myself, are extending their expertise to include linux?

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah! :biggrin

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Very pleased to hear it :)

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

In that case could some of you linux experts/admins take a look at my other query please?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I only wish i did know *something* about Linux, nug :thumbleft

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

which one? :blink am i missing a post here?

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My personal view is "Horses for courses". Each has its strengths and how you use them should depend on those strengths.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nugg to be honest i cant answer much more.. i only been at it for 5 months and whats inspired me with debian is how stable it is.. yes a few packages are old in 'sarge' but its like 99% stable maybe even 99,9! I havent played alot with server roles yet - like mail servers only built a file server... what i liked about using samba and debian for this is i feel this could target smaller companies who need files server and keep legal.. i showed you the costs... and using linux is one way of keeping the costs down.. another thing i like is being able to remove the GUI (is much faster then!) - infact like freddy proposed to me its the only real way to learn linux - jump straight into the deep end with no GUI.. like d said some companies are going client/server.. i havent seen one yet but mind you i live on some tiny island..the reason im learning linux is to gain an advantge... an advantage that in 3 years time when i graduate from uni could be priceless.. who knows might move onto unix and solaris from there....
    sorry ran a little off topic there nug... :biggrin

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I recently read that RHE is one of the most saught after certs in the industry....

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

RHCE boyce! yeah it is.. why? because its 100% braindump free-because its all practical exams even for the RHCT (MCSA equ)... really worth looking at it if you considering red hat