Need Advice - Information Security MSC

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steveh2001, May 5, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hey guys, could do with some advice from people in the IT profession aka you guys :D

I did a degree in a non IT subject and recently finished that, and decided that i want to head into IT, particuarily the field of Information Security, mainly because it sounds very interesting, and has good career prospects.

The uni i went to runs a masters course called Information Security, which supposidly is a very good course (content here:http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/msc/)

Now my problem is, i have no experience in IT and obviously none in IS, my research shows there arnt many IS trainee/junior positions around! Im unemployed at the moment and have been trying to get entry level IT jobs.

So i was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether its worthwhile doing an MSC to get me into IT at least even if i cant get into IS straight away? Or would i have problems because of no experience and should i give up?

Any advice would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks!
    Steve

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My feeling on this one is that you would be wasting your time doing it from an entry level employment perspective, but it could serve as a good long term investment that would give you skills to use in future.

I had something to add, but cant think of the words at the minute. I may reply again later! :rolleyes:

3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice simon!

If u think of anything else please let me know :D

I hear what your saying and i guess my worries have been similar, that id come out in 1 years time equally unemployable because of lack of experience.

Still not sure really, but ive got till august time to decide anyhow

4. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I think you would be better off getting some experience first and then registering for an Msc later on if you still wanted to do one.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Cheers for the advice arisen!

Ive got an offer for this course which starts in sept, but still trying to get employment in IT, if i can before sept then i either would get the few months experience then go do the course, or as u say carry it on till sept 2007, then start the course.

Just hard getting a foot in the door!!!

6. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Not that hard if you have £££$$$ + time... a lot of us here are tied up with time constraints or other financial issues, which prevent us from getting further educated, etc.. some can't afford to get into an entry-level job, because we really need the money (no one else sponsoring) or we will be starved to death (especially those of us in London here - situation getting worse and worse), so many have given up....

But like Simon says....it is an investment to be made. Good luck.

If you've planned your trip well in advance, you should have enough money and time to get through your years and get landed onto a good IT job mate 8)

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...