Anybody actually done one of these courses?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Bogster, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Bogster

Bogster New Member

I would like to know if anybody has actually done one of these courses that are advertised that cost around the £5/6k mark and upon succesful completion been placed in a job at least worth £18k p/a
    Was the guarantee worth the paper it was written on and how long did it actually all take?

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i'm doing one of those.

if i knew then what i know now, i would have never done it (what i know now is that i can do it without them).

i am about halfway through the course so can't say anything yet about the job guarantee (and of course it will differ from place to place) but the fact is that i am studying totally on my own without their help, so aside from the exam fees and laptop and exam cram books (which are crap), the money seems pretty much wasted (would have cost me less than half to study on my own too).

then i intend to find an IT job before the course is over, so i don't think i will have to use the guarantee.

then they cannot guarantee you a min 18k job as your first, you might get it or not, depends on your experience and stuff.

all in all, these are sales tactics and there's really no reason to pay them for something you can do yourself.

edit: another thing is, depending on the course, it won't be easy and may take you a long time, so if you cannot dedicate enough time or concentration to it (or if the company has a short time limit, or you fail to take a certain class or learn whatever subject), you may find that you've breached the job guarantee terms, thereby annulling said contract/guaranatee and the company will have your money and not have to get you a job. win-win.
    so look at the fine print.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. jaffa cake king

jaffa cake king New Member

I was about 40 seconds away from accepting a place with computeach yesterday until i decided to do some hunting on the web and found that quite a lot of people were saying that you could do it off your own back and save a shed load of cash.

Thanks to all the excellent advice on here i've decided to buy the michael meyers A+ book and start from there.

Good luck on whatever you decide :biggrin

4. Bogster

Bogster New Member

Thanks very much to all who replied and especially to OMNI could you please let me know how you do and what actually happens to you, i'd be fascinated..

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

ask me a specific question. keep in mind that i can only speak for/about one company, which may not be the one you have in mind (if you do in fact have one) to potentially join.

however i'm sure they are somewhat similar and i do think my training provider is one of the better ones around (not that that says much), as i did my research before committing myself.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. MadScientist

MadScientist New Member

Hello Bogster and welcome to CF.

I am very wary of IT companies who say the can gurantee a job at the end of the course and with a wage of £18K - £20K.

Do they have a crystal ball?

UKIT training said this to my neighnour and then he found out you have except the first job, they throw at you!

It was working in London for a small firm and no it was not £18k it was £14k on a 6 months contract. Can anyone live in London on £14K wage's?

In the past two day's I have had two sales men round.
    One from Computeach, he was very good and the other from NITLC.

However since stubbling onto this fantastic and very resourceful site. I think self study is a better way to go!

Also another thing to consider -

There are IT pro's here who are in the job, rather than asking what training provider why not ask them how they got to where they are and what's the job really like?

Whatever you decide - Good Luck

Dave :biggrin

Certifications: IT Diploma, BSc Chemistry, C+G Computers
    WIP: MCDST & MCSE Security
  7. Print Screen

Print Screen New Member

Hi one and all, I'm new here at Cert Forums.

I was just looking around at different companies and Bogsters post brought up an interesting point.
    I was condsidering undertaking a course with a job guarantee at the end. This is because it would help me get experience and overcome the "no experience no job, no job no experience" problem. :rolleyes:
    I have looked at some IT positions and the minimum is 2 years experience for entry level positions. I can not afford to do vountary work for this long to get this experience. I would not matter if the job they gave me was for a year only, at least this would be something! :blink
    Although the self study option is cheaper I fear that I would be left with in the position I'm in now with a degree but no relevant experience in my degree field.

Certifications: CCNA, ECDL, PCM
    WIP: A+ MCSE
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Not trying to sound rude or anything, but it would be nice if you'd introduce yourself first in the relevant forum, so we get to know you a little better. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

He's not rude, but he does like loud shirts...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Loud shirts? Me? :D

BTW, Print Screen welcome to CF 8)

I'll hopefully be welcoming you again :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Errr isn't this an old thread? :hhhmmm

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+