the Story of computeach & the CDL

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Colloghi, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well what can i say about computeach....not much

last April i agreed to the sales bloke coming round, had a chat with him and he sold to me, he had a good idea of what he was talking about or so it seemed anyway

So i signed up Applied for My CDL to fund me and away i was. Got a letter saying computeach had received my CDL forms, then got my first coursework etc and away i was

But soon into my coursework ive started having problems with the CDL..., to cut a long story short, coop (who were providing my cdl) were saying they werent receiving the forms needed from Computeach............Computeach were saying it wasnt them it was COOP, this went on a couple of months with me having to reapply for the damn thing more than twice, due to computeach forms going "astray"

Finally fast approaching November, it was sorted or so it seemed. Got sent out a form saying it had all gone through just one thing for it........me to say yes to the loan and computeach to verify it.....easy yes? well no.....

i sent this back recorded, sent the other recorded to Computeach, no more letters from either company, so i stupidly assumed there were no hitches....

then just after xmas, i got a lovely letter from computeah telling me they were passing a debt for the course fees over to the baliffs and i was going to court. GREAT

phoned up, turns out Computeach hadnt been paid yet.....asked why, nowt to do with us, you have to phone the coop they said........thanks

phones up, my account has been closed, due to no forms comming back from my course provider and im sorry the cash for this years CDLs has all gone

NOW.......this have left me in a right pickle. When i applied for the CDL, i was still at university, i actually left uni to go on this course.........Cos im not at uni anymore, im not a student, thereforethe CDL will only fund 80% of the fees, basically i cant afford to pay the 20% anyway, which is why i applid when i was at uni

I phoned the computeach people, a lot of help they are......got told to apply for a loan?......meh cant do, i still have a student account at the bank, which is freezing my interest on my overdraft, if i want a loan, i have to change to current account, i do that i have to pay interest on my overdraft, im 1200 in my overdraft............last option, pay the 4700 through court

even worse NOW, no matter if i actually get to fund it, but im gonna be charged for my course actually taking longer than anticipated???? this was something i did NOT get told at the time...........im truly peed

sorry for rant :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!!

im shocked! :eek: im not in the UK but i think in the last 10 min i have read enough to know what day light robbery is going on with training providers!

Sorry to hear about your problems.. guys why are companies getting away with this over and over again? i mean the prices they charge is over the moon! 1 year fees at uni is 3000 and some idiots charge that and more for a MCSE - with cr*py materials?

Lesson i picked up from cert forum - SELF STUDY! you learn more and save lots!

sorry if im blabbing on i just need to get it out! :x :oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sounds like you've had a rough time there.

My suggestion would be to go to your nearest Citizens Advice Office and see their legal rep. At the very least you will know which way to go.

I hope you get this sorted. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi,

Sorry to read your post. As AJ has already pointed out you need to make an apointment to go to the CAB. Don't be put off if they give you an appointment in a fortnight :rolleyes: they will be able to tell you exactly where you stand.

oh, welcome aboard too :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys. yeah ive been thinking about going to the CAB, and i wish to god i had taken self study and paid for just the exams etc now.

I gotta say as well, ive not been impressed with some of the module tests from computeach, some of the answers to the questions are very dubious and its pretty easy to make a mistake.........mind you with the high pass rate they require, perhaps how they make their money, each time you get it wrong and fail means you spend longer on the course i suppose you could say in theory........of course im sure a reputable trainer would never do that...

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you got copies of letters sent/received between yourself and the COOP and the training provider?
    Also preferably notes on phone calls etc?

If you have, I wouldn't worry too much as anyone will be able to see that it is an admin ****-up either by the training provider or COOP - it must happen all the time. Let them take you to court. It will show them up for not having noticed that your funds were missing and informing you sooner.
    Why would they send you your course work if they hadn't even seen evidence of your CDL paperwork?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to here of your situation, I agree with JonnyMX, get as much information i.e. letters dates etc, if you dont have them you can ask for a copy to be sent to you from the Coop/Training provider. Also ask for a written statement as to why they are taking this to court, along with a statment from the coop as to why the account was closed, photocopy them all and take them with you to the CAB. If it still goes to court see if you are entitled to legal aid and take the information along with you.

Hope fully everything will work out for the best.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Computeach... should be renamed to Cantweteach :x

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm going to mention this while the thread is still quite new and still disciplined and enlightening. To all reading and/or participating, please do not let this degrade into a defamatory or libellous beating of a specific company.

Thanks in advance. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

That's a shocker of a story, Colloghi. Whilst bearing in mind Jak's wise words, I will say this: I would lay down good money that most of these problems are down to Co-Op, they don't know their arse from their elbow (that's not libelous or anything Jak, I have written proof if you want it). Before I even thought about applying for a CDL, it took me six months just to open a basic bank account with them - numerous application forms being filled in, them losing all my documents proving address etc. at least twice. I can't talk about my experience of applying for a CDL with them, it's too painful.

What I would do, apart from going to CAB as the others suggest (although unfortunately, they can be a bit hit and miss), would be to write to Co-Op's complaints department (I got the address from their call center) and write to them telling that under FSA regulations they must acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 7 days and must provide a satsifactory outcome within 28 days (I'd double check those numbers as it's been a couple of years since I worked in the financial sector). Their complaints deptartment I found to be very efficient and approachable, unfortunately, whenever they had to pass anything to a different office it all went pear shaped again.

Really, the best advice I can give you would be to not deal with Co-Op Bank even under pain of death.

Hope you get something sorted out.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

First of all thankyou for all the advice and for replying

Secondly, im still no more aware of what to do now than when i started this topic. Ive been to CAB, the guy i saw was, jus hopeless, he was baffled by what a career development loan was, and baffled by everyhting but saying hello.

Phoned the career development loans free helpline, and they were even more useless. I explained the situation and asked if they could point me in the right direction. she didnt answer, when i said, would i be better off trying CAB, she just said, yeah you could do that.

Anyway off to the CAB again today, armed with infomation i should of took first time round

One interesting point though, I phoned up the sales rep who came out to sell me the course, an explained to him the situation, he basically fobbed me off saying, try this bank, or that bank. But then he said "well you paid a deposit, so that would take som of the overall cost down"...i replied No, i didnt, i was never asked for a deposit........after trying to convince me i did, all he could say was OH

Now ive been thinking about this, if i havnt put a deposit down, and havnt sent any money, whatsoever, should i have been sent the material? and if this is the case, can i simply cancel the contract stating im unsatisfied (which i very much am) and just resend the material back?

I have a letter saying, that my funding HAS been approved by my bank from my course provider, and my approval forms are being sent back thus my enrolment is completed. So if my approval suddenly fails?, then surely it cancels my enrolment?

I think im actually writing this down for myself now on here, rather than moaning at those who deserved to be moaned at. it makes thing clearer dosnt it writing them down??

anyways, toodle loo and wish me luck or that a leading course provider will go bankrupt and descend into chaos wiping out their entire database containing information on who owes them money (whichever comes first)

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Try going to a solicitor. You will have to pay for the pleasure, but you should see some returns for you money. 8)

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you returned the coursework?
    That would be an interesting legal position.
    You've had nothing from them, they've had nothing from you...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

LOL Jonny, probably worth a try actually nice idea:D

i went to CAB. didnt open till 1.30, then it was that packed i couldnt get in, was pushed for time so easy i thought ill ring them when i get home. Gets home, rings up, the lines are shut whilst the center is open, and there shut tommorow, and obviously its good friday, so next tuesday is my set date now lol

grrrrrrrrr

hmmm i wondering as well is the term "garbled" a legal term as ive found it hidden in my course contract and its amused me :biggrin

15. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well my last message on here, before i get things sorted at CAB when they open

I may have found a way out of this whole mess, and its down to one VERY importatnt aspect, that stupidly I hadnt realised until now. Im on the wrong bloody course. I thought when i first received the material that it wasnt right, but i thought hey what do i know, im the student, they are the trusted proffesionals. I wish i had looked then. Hoepfully i can get out of this mess now, and im seriously considering self study

I jus cant afford, the time, the money, and most importantly, the stress this had on my life.

Colloghi saying adios for now :biggrin