Can't log off a Windows XP machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Nov 26, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is a wierd one. I got a call from a user. Tried to log off his machine last night and it ignored him. I came in this morning, tried to log him off. I asked if I really wanted to do this and I said "yes". Then it ignored me. I tried the "three-finger salute" and it ignored me. The mouse and keyboard work fine (since I'm posting this from the user's machine). I have a network connection to the LAN and Internet. I can't figure this one out.

I took a look at the event viewer but the information it provides isn't exactly plain. One of the error messages is

"Faulting application outlook.exe, version 10.0.2627.1, faulting module mspst32.dll, version 10.0.2623.0, fault address 0x0000f83c."

Another is:

"Alert Manager Event Interface: Alert Manager Event Interface unable to send alert to \\CS-TREASURER\pipe\AlertManager. Error returned = The system cannot find the file specified."

And a warning message is:

"The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8000401A."

What does it mean and how can I use the information to figure out what's going on and how to fix it?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Trip I found this, might point you in the right direction link

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks, nugget. I cheated on my first attempt to solve the problem. I shut off the power manually and powered the machine back up. I logged on as administrator, performed a few simple tasks to use up a minute or two and was able to successfully log off. Since the user is gone this morning, I had his administrative asst log him on, noodled around for a few minutes then successfully logged him off. I was able to shut down power normally.

The user might be in around noon today so, if he gets on his machine and has the same problem, I may have to take stronger measures. I got one suggestion stating that Outlook may be hanging the log off and shut down and might have to uninstall/reinstall Outlook. I'll keep all my options open and hope it just goes away (he's not an easy user to get along with, unfortunately).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Try using the repair utility first before un/reinstall.

Also, in the linked page's comments it states
    maybe something? :roll:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Azuziel

Azuziel Bit Poster

Depending on the version of Outlook Trip, this is the problem. Anything from Outlook 2000, and higher, ties itself into the Net logon service (due to MS's experimintation with Kowledge Managment), and creates a slew of dependancies. This bad .dll is most likley your problem. I'd just replace the offending .dll with the one from the cd.