How old, how long in IT...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Stupendous Man, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Bit Poster

There is probably another thread like this, but I was just wondering how old are people on this forum and how long they have been employed or been training in IT?

The reason that I ask is that I'm 25 and have gained a seemingly useless 2:2 honours degree in IT and economics, and have been supporting the IT system (among other business tasks) in a family business. I have been applying for IT jobs since the beginning of the year with no success. I think I put off certification because I felt that I was getting a bit old and needed to settle in a job so I could get a career going - bad idea. My A+ book should arrive this week, hopefully some certifications should should help.

Certifications: Lunatic
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

24. Been in IT since I was 16 and straight out of school. Started of by doing an apprenticeship, and progressed from there. 8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im 20... since 15 got my ECDL at 15 and my A+ at 16!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

23, Got my A+/N+/MCSE at 14-15, part time work since 14, full time work since 16,
    coming up to 10 years now :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm taking the Fifth Amendment on this, but suffice to say I'm a "late starter" to IT :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

what he means is he's 'well old' and hasnt been around IT for long :)

didnt stop him doing well though :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

My response is going to go a little off topic but it will find its way back! I'm going to state what I did before I got into IT up till now, I'm currently 30 so I'll start when I left college:

16 - 17: Building Site Labourer (10 quid a day) for roofers and brickies- hated this!
    17 - 18: YTS Trainee Electrician
    18 - 22: Worked for a Carpet Company
    22 - 24: Further useless education at a college
    24 - 26: Drum Tutor and ICT Technician for a local private school, my first break into IT! However I was initially employed to teach the Drums. The ICT tech bit came by pure chance!
    26- Now, IT Support postions at 2 Prvate companies and now for my local county council!

Started my MCSE stuff when I was 28, so I had no formal IT qualifications when I got my first IT job. I only knew what I had picked up from my own activities with PCs. However, I did have to buy Networking books in order to get up to a acceptable level to manage the Workgroup at the school. But that wasn't too hard!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

25yrs old, started out teaching myself about PCs at the age of 16, family bought first PC in new year of 97 and that was my starting point to learn about them, built first PC at 19 (blew up on me!!), second PC built at 21 (got nicked!!!) and third PC built nearly 2yrs ago (still going strong and has had some tweaks and upgrades), have not really worked in IT much (well if u call working in an Apple Mac Call centre IT), but have been building PCs on the side for friends and fixing them too as a way to keep my mind of things fresh when it comes to fixing them. at the moment still havent gotten round to doing my A+ (still not got the money!!!) but am looking for jobs in the IT sector like desktop support, etc or anything hardware related, gonna start advertising soon as the Uni students will be back so thats the market to aim for the next few months...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Bit Poster

Pretty much as I expected - I'm an old guy.

Looking back, I probably should not have gone to uni, but I wasn't sure of my options and everyone seemed to be pushing me to go. Maybe someday the degree will be of use. At least now I have a plan and goals. You go nowhere without that.(And a bit of luck would be nice)

Any ideas on what types of jobs I should be applying for to gain some experience, or am I wasting my time applying until I have some kind of cert? I am quite resigned to the fact that I will need a weekend job to have any kind of income initially especially if I'm to move out - still living with the parents AAGGHH!

Certifications: Lunatic
    WIP: A+
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Im 22. I have no qualifications in IT (not even standard grade). I am, technically, working towards A+ at the moment, but that has taken a bit of a back seat at the moment.

After studying genetics for around 4 years, i dropped out to pursue IT. After about 6 months of constantly applying for IT job, i finally landed a job as a servicedesk analyst as a temp. After several months of this and an interview, ive finally been offered a permanent position.

You dont NEED certs to get your foot in the door, but expect it to be difficult.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

best thing to do is practice urself (thats what I did and I have never worked in any PC shop even tho I applied for them!!), read the A+ cert books, and learn from them, do the exams and at least u have something to build on...I went to uni for 6months (strangely to study computer programming aaarrrggghh!!) hated so much, never wanted to go in the first place (forced by parents)...in terms of jobs at least u have the degree so show that its a start...go for something like helpdesk support or something along those lines...depends on what u feel comfortable with...one thing I will say tho is help out friends and families with PC problems, this way u get experience and then u can then build on this...build up a network of people who will allow you to fix their computer and then they can recommend u to other people...thats what I have done and its working so far...have fixed many PCs for people I dont know and I still keep in contact with them in case they have other problems...just keep ur chin up...one day u will get there...and so will i if i can get out of apple asap!!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. At 25 you're still a pup. :p

I'm more than twice your age and I'm just really getting started. I worked about a hundred hours a week for about a year and a half for a start up web-based company as a junior server and database administrator and then company went bankrupt. As I started out as green as a gourd I knew I needed more knowledge so I spent the last 3 years in a vocational rehabilitation program working on certs and learning Linux. Am I too old and crippled up to ever get a job in IT? Probably. It's fun learning it though.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It always cracks me up when Gav says he's "old". :biggrin

I guess I'm an unusual case. I'm 51 and got my first one-day contract job in IT in November 2002. I did various forms of freelance contact work for the first two years while I was going to school and working my full-time non-IT slave job.

Graduated with my BA in Network Support two years ago. I finally quit my slave day job almost 2 years ago and took my chances (our chances really since I have a family) on freelance. I finally got my first, full-time job in the field 14 months ago.

I feel quite like a newbie still and have lots to learn. Now if I can live long enough, maybe I'll get smart someday. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Ok, Ok, Trip ! :biggrin Honestly, between you and Ryan .....right, I might as well 'fess up on this.

36, and only been in IT (if you can call helpdesk IT) for about 2 and a half years. Got into it after doing A+, MCPs and Network+ with Nitlc (supposedly MCSA/E and Cisco too - but in hiatus at the moment) The irony being that since I started working in it, I dont have the time to devote to study it.

Previously, I was a van driver with a Biology degree for 10 years.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

I'm 24. Graduated from uni with a degree in Business IT, been working in software testing for the past 2 years. Now I'm trying to get into software development.

I feel ancient too, but we're still so young. It's never too late. Look at all those ppl who wants a career change and want to get into IT. It must be more difficult for them. Your degree isn't useless, it might come in handy one day. So you're already in a better position than some people. Try not to look back, look forward, you'll have a great future ahead of you! :D It is possible, it's just a matter of time.

There are lots of IT job websites.
    http://www.cwjobs.co.uk
    http://www.jobserve.co.uk
    http://www.monster.co.uk
    http://www.theitjobboard.com

I've been keeping my eye out on programming jobs on those websites. I've come across lots of network/desktop support/hardware related jobs for graduates. Even if you don't have the experience, just apply anyway. There's no harm in trying, I've been bombarding everyone with my CV in regards to VB programming roles. Also, I've posted my CV online, I keep on getting headhunted for graduate job roles that I don't want. Got an interview next week for a junior Oracle developer job. I have absolutely no experience in Oracle development, only know my basic SQL. I don't want the job, only going along for interview practice.

Sorry, lol I know I'm rambling on and on. Anyway, my point is, having a degree does come in handy. But at the end of the day, it's all down to having the knowledge to do a job. Keep positive, you'll get a job soon. Start studying, keep on applying for jobs. Don't let the rejection letters get you down. I know I'm really waffling on here, but I'd applied for nearly 50 jobs before I landed my first job after graduating. So far, for programming jobs, I'd applied for about 30 junior job roles and haven't had a single interview :cry: But I keep on getting headhunted for testing, consultancy, business analyst and other job roles that I don't want. Grrr :x Hopefully when I get my cert, I'll have better luck in landing a job I want.

ps. It's been inspirational reading about older people (no offence, you know what I mean:p) from non IT backgrounds getting into IT. Age shouldn't be an issue in life, as it's never too late to do anything. :D You only get one chance at life. Haha, I really am writing too much. I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've just turned 40 and been working full time in IT for nearly 3 years. I was running the network on a part time basis (if that makes sense) in my last job which was as an Asst Manager in a Leisure Centre (did that for 17 years).

Still learning the IT stuff as I go along but not devoting time to PROPER studying :ohmy

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I'm 28, only got into IT 3 years ago at college but have only this year started my A+. ITS NEVER TOO LATE!! :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Slightly off topic guy's but reading the entire thread has made me feel really good. I am 26 and although yet to "get my foot" in the door I am applying for jobs which i think appropiate and keeping my chin up. Sometimes you read a few sob stories and get down in the dumps. Reading all the succes stories from CF have made that go away. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Virtual beer all round!

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm 28 and got my first job in IT as a tutor teaching basic computers to adults for a local training company at the age of 23, I was also the main point of call for any technical problems and thats where I got the thirst for a technical role. I did that for 3 years and then was made redundant, I managed to luckily get a job as a part time technician working in local primary and secondary schools on a 6 month contract for the council and when that was up one of the bigger secondary schools offered me a job a technician, I turned it down as the money wasn't good enough and two days later they offered me the post as network manager. I've been doing this now for about a year and half. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm 37 so there's no way you're too old mate. I've been trying to get into IT for the past 3 years. Finally made it about a year ago.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685