Careerjobsuk experiences

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by It Nathan, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It Nathan

It Nathan New Member

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=381326&posted=1#post381326

I have made a new thread in the right section at admins request .

2. princess_psycho

princess_psycho New Member

Hi,
    I used to see this sort of scam popping up when I worked in fraud investigation, there was a company that was posting jobs like this then used peoples bank details to buy stuff online. The Buzz words are that Universities make you graduate as a "Jack of all trades master of none" and that they can guatantee you a job.

I had a look and this company Direct Junction is posting scam / spam job offers on Total jobs actually a spot of checking up and surprise surprise the director of the company was director of an identical company which did exactly the same thing before and it has just stopped trading so it gets taken off companies house. This took me about 5 minutes to find out quite a bit of details just by googling. Trading standards and citizens advice have got wind of this type of con and it looks like it is starting up again. I bet if you try to take them to court they will demand you take off your postings here. Still if check up the type of people who run these scams you'll see them involved in all sort of scams Multi level marketing,pryamid schemes, time share apartments for example. The only thing you can do is avoid them like the plague - the curious thing is how many of them are based in Surrey particularly.

3. lilmissange

lilmissange New Member

So, I was REALLY STUPID enough to fall for it. I signed up 15th of January 2011. I tried to cancel on te phone and they said its sorted.

then, 15h of feb 79 pound comes out - direct junction!!!

Great. Had loads of things to think about apart from this so thought id call again. Called again, finally got an answer and the aid i just couldnt cancel!!!

I had a huge argument and they hung up and i couldnt call them then. So, cancelled my bank account yesterday and today, i get a letter saying i owe them 79 pounds. It says they tried taking it on the 12/03/2011 even though my bank account had money in and they are supposed to take it on the 15th. Realy confused and don't know how to cancel.

I have set up an investigation with halifax about the so called contract.

Do you think that they wll really send bailiffs out and take it to the small claims court? afterall everyone feels scammed against them!!

Thanks

4. princess_psycho

This is a scam that has been going on for a few years I noticed that Direct Junction has all the job adverts pulled from Totaljobs . Still you can get your money back, if you paid by direct debit there is the cashback scheme as you have reported the fraud within 120 days the credit card. To make a claim using Chargeback, customers must contact their card issuer, which then contacts the company's payment-processing bank to reclaim the money.

This means that even if a company goes into liquidation, it is possible to reclaim money, as the claim is made against a bank, not the company. The claim can be made on any purchase where the goods or services are not provided, and is not dependent on the supplier going bust.

Given you have several complaints already on this blog you should be able to get your money back as there are several mentions of the company running a scam.

Just so you know there is a guy called Rob Ager who was scammed by Skillstrain a company that was investigated about scam courses on Watchdog in October 2008. It turned out skillstrain had been falsely claiming that its courses were endorsed by two major IT companies – Microsoft and CISCO. The Watchdog investigators also showed Skillstrain course materials to IT professionals for assessment. The feedback was that the materials were outdated and poorly written.
    Here is the link to the site and it should help you
    http://www.collativelearning.com/SKILLSTRAIN SCAM & REFUND.html

As for the threats they made - it is all hot air so don't get too worried. These guys are con men and the director Barry Neil McGregor has been on this type of scam before with a company called Zadia Ltd Companies House Registration Number: 4897080.
    Hope that helps you as frankly the Halifax is known to be rather useless with their investigations.

5. princess_psycho

This scam has been going on for quite a while - still you should be able to get your money back through the cashback scheme. As for the Direct Junction there were quite a few companies doing that sort of scam and it should be a good idea to speak to trading standards. There is a good site which will give you some information about this type of scam. The thing is they use hardsell tactics - like demanding a deposit before you know what is going on and getting your details, the fact that you cancelled and cite sections 5 & 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Still the company has had it's ads pulled from Totaljobs suggests that there is going to be some action against them

6. jacobwake

jacobwake New Member

God I'm glad i read this before i got my "interview" with them. What sort of people prey on job seekers to gain a few extra quid its sick. My plan is to let him do his pitch then inform him this call is being recorded as part of an investigation with the ASA for breaking the code of conduct in section 20 part 1,2,3. Can't wait for his reaction will let you know how it goes.

7. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Hi

I'm glad I read this thread (and the original one before it!). It stopped me getting screwed over by these scammers!

I'm currently with Computeach doing an MSCA so adding an MCITP would be pointless and time consuming at the moment anyway - so I decided to email and cancel the interview. This is the reply I got with the original message I sent them back:

----------------------

We follow the Data protection act to the letter. Your details have been removed from our system. May I request that you do not apply for a position in I.T. with us in the future, as we are only looking for genuine candidates.

Sent: 01 April 2011 10:09
    To: Careerjobs37
    Subject: RE: Online Interview CRM:0029747

Hi

After careful thought and research into my current MCSA program (which doesn’t expire) and the MCITP program (which will expire once support for the relevant products is retired), I have decided that your company is not the best way forward for me.

I still have support from another training provider at the moment, and will look at upgrades in the future.

I am cancelling the interview (which I note is now an hour later than agreed). Please don’t call me and I insist you remove my details from your database (failure of which would be against the Data Protection Act).

Regards

------------------------------

And I only deal with genuine companies who don't force users to pay for training they don't need!!

Now considering they were offering jobs in September to November - I very much doubt I would have got one at all. And considering Computeach have a lifetime careers department as well, personally this would be overkill! I've already warned about these people on the Computeach careers forum, so if any other training companies have similar I would warn on there as well.

Oh - and hi!

Andy

8. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

Hi, Firstly new to the forum and found it searching reviews of said company. I was wondering how you got on with the cancellation and whether there were any further issues. I unfortunately, as it now seems, joined the course and have been signed up since the end of feb! I am currently seeking legal advice.

I have noticed their funds of 79 pounds to have been taken by Debit NOT DirectDebit, which i automatically assume i am not bound by? Being desperate and need of a career change i am in this predicament.

cheers

chris

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The legality of the contract will depend on how it is worded, and if you signed it at their place or yours. You generally have more bargaining power if the contract was signed off-site. Of course, if you sign anything without reading the small print you could be in for a rough ride anyway.

I would start with citizen's advice as it's free, but doesn't have a lot of clout. Escalate your issues to trading standards (or consumer protection - whatever it is they call themselves) and you may want to consider the financial ombudsman service if you signed a credit agreement.

To be honest, it's about making a nuisance of yourself and seeing who gives up first.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

I've been thinking about this recently - maybe we should get in touch with the BBC Watchdog team to investigate this companies practices as well. I imagine with the employment situation as it is this is happening in other job sectors by other firms as well, and they will be able to investigate further.

I might do it myself, but as I had a lucky escape and pulled out at the last minute my story won't have as much clout as Chris1's or lilmissange who have unfortunately got stung badly by them.

Does this sound plausible?

11. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

Hi,

this is in any way a form of defence for the company but how does one interpret the fact that they have given each step after the other, im seriously confused. So i wouldnt know how to place any discrepencies with the company and notify watchdog, although i havent seen or heard of anyone completing any of their courses, one big reason i want out. I have seeked legal advice, im waiting on the reply.

The contract was done over the phone and a copy was sent via email and post.

chris

12. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Hi.

I think it's more down to the tactics they employ, and also a trading standards/advertising breech. They can avoid sanctions from the JobCentre and other job sites because they advertise a "job" (in my case "Database Administrator") and state in the ad "training will be given". This looks like a regular job advert, so avoids suspicion by the jobsites.

However, the advert is misleading (no mention of fees for instance) which breeches advertising standards (adverts must be clear and concise). This advert is the bait, once you reply you are then hooked and reeled in. Also, the name of a company may be classed as an advert in it's own right. Therefore "CareerJobs UK" is a breech as it shows the company as a employment agency, rather than a training centre.

Let us know how you get on with the legal case.

Andy

13. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

hi,

Ive mailed the advertising standards authority, its been a couple days since so will folow up in the week. I havent had any luck in finding an answer on whether i can withraw from the contract. I am even contemplating to go ahead and see whether i can complete the course.

I have Theoritacally, if continue with the course, 5 exams to sit. anyone know whether these are correct for the qualification of MCITPs.

# Windows 7 Configuration MCTS 70-680
    # Windows Server 2008 Active Directory MCTS 70-640
    # Windows Server 2008 Networking MCTS 70-642
    # Windows Server 2008 Applications MCTS 70-643
    # Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 MCTS 70-236
    # Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Admin MCITP 70-647

Fingers well and truely burnt, given the amount of detail available online and for fraction of the price most of the books i can download for free.

Chris

14. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

Hi,

i have recieved a reply from the advertising standards authority requesting the 'jobs' applied for leading to the offering of the I.T courses by Careerjobsuk.com. I am going to put the one i applied forward when i can find it. It would be much appreciated if anyone else can post the link to their applied for jobs leading to the offering of the course.

chris

15. flalexander

flalexander New Member

hi,

Stupidly fell for it earlier today. did some research once i was told conflicting information over the phone to what is on the information i was sent.

Can anyone advise the best way to back out of this? Cancel the direct debit, cancel my card or e-mail them saying i want out?

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

For all of you:

First of all - in hindsight - do research on these companies before signing up, rather than after.
    Not a lot can be done about that now, but it always stuns me how a simple search yields hundreds of threads like this one and yet people only ever seem to find them when it's too late.

Secondly, make sure you keep copies of everything. The adverts you reply to, the contract, any letters or emails they send you or you send them, and the dates and times of any phone calls (and preferably who you spoke to).

It is really easy not to do this, especially early on in the complaint process when you can't ever imagine it turning into a giant mess. But when it does, it can be really hard to backtrack. You will have an extremely weak case if you are missing these things, especially as they are likely to have files of correspondence and records of calls etc. It makes them look organised and you look like an unreliable character.

Thirdly, make your dissatisfaction known to the company, in writing (preferably recorded delivery) before you do anything else.

Make sure it is clearly written and contains facts and evidence. If you aren't great at writing, get someone to help you as a poorly written letter along the lines of 'I was ripped off' will just get laughed at. Make sure you tell them what you want them to do to resolve the situation and give them a reasonable time to do it in, such as 14 days.

Then tell them what you are going to do to them if they refuse. In this case your strongest case is probably misrepresentation and false advertising.

Unfortunately many people jump the gun and go straight to trading standards etc. Trading standards will then write to, or call the company and say they are investigating a complaint. They will then say (in all honesty) that they are not aware of any complaints and that you have never indicated any dissatisfaction with their service. Again, it weakens your case.

17. flalexander

flalexander New Member

i tried searching for Direct Junction (who the job advertisment was for) but didn't find any threads (a search later on, however, found a forum thread similar to this)

Sent them a letter and have records of the job application and the email they sent me, along with all attachments stating different information to what i was told on the phone.

Worst case scenario i'll have to count my (£79) losses and chalk it up to a mistake i'll learn from for later on in life.
    Thanks for the advice though =]

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you give up - but you need to consider what £79 is worth to you. Fighting things like this can clock up hours as well as expenses, which is something you need to bear in mind.

Just make sure you have cancelled and standing payments that you may have (possibly inadvertantly) set up. You don't want to find out that you're £79 down again next month.

Of course, the other thing you can do is get your money's worth out of them. Insist on getting every bit of course material and tuition that you are entitled to. Keep badgering them and keep a record of what happens. Places like this make all their profit out of people who pay them, then lose interest and wonder off. They are geared up to fighting off people who complain, but someone who actually gets on with the training can be the biggest nuisance of all.

19. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Speaking of guns, I know one guy who went directly to the company offering such services, and told them face-to-face that if they did not resolve the situation that had risen (I'll spare the details, but it's similar to what is described in this thread), he would come again and this time bring his army issued SIG 550 along with him.

He ended up getting his money back the very next day...

Not saying you should do the same, but I did find it somewhat... erm... interesting, to hear a story like this.

p.s. I don't advocate gun violence, I would only use them against Zombie's.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  20. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

I dont think in my case being so far in have much a choice, so i am pursuing with caution but pursuing none the less. Is there any way of others scrutinising there material thats from Mind leaders, which in fact checks out on certguard.com.

Also there exams made to be taken to certify myself to an engineer.

chris