Geek Squad experience -- helpful?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by deviousmarsupial, Feb 13, 2010.

1. deviousmarsupial

deviousmarsupial New Member

I finally finished my BA in English Writing from the University of Pittsburgh and I want to get into the IT field. I've been feverishly brushing up on modern web development techniques, and I'm having a lot of fun with Ajax. I've also been studying to complete the A+, but I'd feel more comfortable with some hands on experience. Since I'm living month to month serving tables, and cannot afford to buy a car, I'm thinking that any income better than my own that might provide some experience would help.

There are a couple of Best Buys in my area, one of which is on a relatively convenient bus route (only one transfer involved), so I'm thinking about applying to Geek Squad. If nothing else, the discounts are great (Cat-6 is $6 where it would be $30), and I'd get more hours than I can at the restaurant, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether the experience counts for anything. Once I can get some money for a car and I pass my certs, I'd like to move away. Would this be a good way to get on my feet, or should I keep looking for something else?

Bear in mind that I have no documented experience in the IT field whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

We don't have the geek squad over here in the UK, but we do have the Tech Guys, which are attached to PC world.

It can't hurt - its exposure to IT, and it will help with the A+ studies.

Good luck

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Any exposure to IT will help even going to work with Chuck :)

Seriously though, any work in the IT arena will definitely improve your knowledge and help with getting certified.

Go for it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Don't we?
    www.geeksquad.co.uk

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Sorry, I wasn't aware of them being in the UK.

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Cool, I wasn't neither. Googled them up and now acting like a smart**s. :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

How easy is to get job with geek squad? I tried to look for jobs but there was no listed jobs only for carphone warehouse for mobile phones support and repair. I am asking this because you sound certain you will get job there so if there is a way pls let me know.
    Good luck!

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+