CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications are now valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. The change brings the CompTIA certifications in line with the practice of other major providers of certifications for IT professionals, such as Cisco, Microsoft and Oracle.

The renewal policy also is required for these three certifications to maintain their accreditation and compliance with internationally accepted standards for assessing personnel certification programs (ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024). CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications earned the ISO 17024 accreditation from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 2008. ISO requires that individuals have a way to renew the currency of their certification on a regular basis. In CompTIA’s case, renewal will occur every three years.

The new certification renewal policy is applicable to all individuals who hold CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications, regardless of the date they were certified. Other CompTIA certifications are not affected at this time.

Read the rest of the article here, the FAQ are here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Boycie
      Boycie
      Interesting. Something they always said they would never do (when i embarked on the A+ back in 2004)! Having said that, the field we work in doesn't stay still, so perhaps it's a good idea. Shame that the exam prices seem to be more than (certainly) the MS ones.
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      There's also the continuing education way:

But it looks like even that will cost:

Unless I'm reading it wrong...

-ken
    3. dales
      dales
      Oh well took mine back in 2003 so I guess that's expired now under these new rules. Never mind wont bother renewing it Not many recruiters seemed to know what it was when I was applying for tech jobs back then, dont know if thats changed now.
    4. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      That takes a bit of the sting out I suppose. Its put me off going for Security+ for a bit though.
    5. nXPLOSi
      nXPLOSi
      I think they may find alot of people not bothering to take the exams if they're going to expire, and people also not bothering to renew them.

Once you've passed the A+/N+ the usual trend is to go onto MCSA/MCSE and then onwards and upwards, are people really going to go back and do the "entry level" exams for £150.00?

From what im reading, I would only need to take the N+ to renew both A+ and N+ as its the highest level exam? So does that mean that because I passed N+ in 2008, that would of "refreshed" my A+, resulting in them both expiring 2011? Confused? I am.
    6. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Well now got N+, Linux+, Server+, Security+ and hoping to pass Project+ beta.

I was going to take A+ just to get the full 'set' :wink:

Now I don't think I will bother, I totally disagree with recertification, especially for entry level certs, it makes no sense at all.

In fact I'm rather pissed I paid £200+ for 'lifetime certs' which now will dissappear in no time at all.

Is someone with 5+ years experience really going to go backwards ? Is a certification going to be much use to them going forward ?

Do we really want to be 'taxed' just to have an IT job ? Who designates them as the 'tax collector' ?

Microsoft certifications do not expire after three years, they largely expire in line with end of life of related products. Neither do Oracle certs as far as I know.

Cisco are the only cert vendors that have a hard recertification policy of three years.

This smacks of rather cynical profiteering to me.

This just makes certifications even more worthless if they expire, my academic qualifications don't expire and the average employer knows what they are...

I would advise everyone to write to Comptia and ask them to reconsider.
      Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    7. nugget
      nugget
      Now that these certs are set to expire, how will this affect being able to use them for MS certs like the MCSA?
    8. nXPLOSi
      nXPLOSi
      That was my next question... :(
    9. Qs
      Qs
      I'm kinda glad that I didn't pursue any CompTIA qualifications now.

Recertification for entry level qualifications just isn't going to work... and their new 'credit' system is a complete waste of time.

Qs
    10. Qs
      Qs
      If CompTIA stick with this then Microsoft aren't going to accept retired qualifications as prerequisites for their own certs.

Qs
    11. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      That's mad.

So if someone started out with A+ then moved onto bigger things, they have to continue to resit their A+ if they want to keep it valid?

I can't see anyone bothering.
      I'd just put on my CV that I passed A+ in 2010 and leave it there.
      Are employers really going to care if it's still 'valid'?
      They don't care now if you've got the 2007 (or whatever) or 2009 version, so why should they care if you sat it 3 or 4 years ago.

I don't think this has been done with the interests of either employers or candidates in mind, it's just profiteering and CompTIA trying to get a stranglehold over the industry.

I can see them reversing the decision in the future when they realise that it's doing them harm rather than good.

:dry
    12. kicsiburcsi
      kicsiburcsi
      I was planning to do N+ before completing my MCSA, but that is changed now...
    13. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Strange how they pick their most popular three certs to try to implement this on ?

I'd love to have seen the accountants rubbing their hands at that board meeting... :dry
    14. Boycie
      Boycie
      I agree guy's.

As far as I am concerned, i have passed the exam in the year stated on the certificate if employers want to see - although no-one has asked me to date.
    15. danielno8
      danielno8
      I'd like to hear their arguments FOR this change.

I see they mentioned getting in line with the practice of other cert vendors. But considering their certs are imo only good for individuals seeking their first job how do they really expect someone with say 3 years experience to still see this cert as useful.
    16. nXPLOSi
      nXPLOSi
      Yea, looks like i'll be bashing out the MCDST soon then, because depending on how they work it, my A+ will be near expiry when I finish the MCSA. Other option is Sec+ which would renew all 3, but then I think, why buy into this crap way of working entry level certs?

I wonder if the high price of the exams will be looked at and lowered bearing in mind they expect people to now renew. Haha, I guessing not.
    17. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Looks like an ISO compliance thing - but I'm sure they could avoid it if they wanted to.

This FAQ was interesting though:

So if you've got A+ this shouldn't stop you going on to do N+, as you'll have to keep one up to date either way.
    18. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Their reasoning is here :-

http://blog.comptia.org/2010/01/12/cert-shelf-life/

Although the explanation seems like more smoke and mirrors...
    19. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Or just let it lapse...