Oh God my dream may have come true (job related)...!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Richdog, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Richdog

Richdog Bit Poster

You may remember I started that "I need a job in I.T." thread. Well, I have been bugging the I.T department where I work for a job for a couple of months now. One of the biggest publishing companies in the world, Reed Publishing. Never got too much communication back aside from "we'll notify you of a vacancy as and when they become available".

Today I got a call from the I.T. manager Chris Wiggins. He said to come and talk to him for an informal chat. It turns out they have 2 vacancies coming up in Support analyst roles, which covers everything from networking, security, maintenance, troubleshooting, ALL of the things I wanted to do in an I.T. role. All of the things essential for being a future high-paid netword administrator, and getting those MCSA/MCSE qualifications. I had a chat with him, told him how I had worked with PC's for years, and REALLY and truly wanted my career to turn in this direction. We got on well and even started talking about a bit of martial arts and poker games that I play (all chit-chat but shows comfort and relaxed atmosphere). :)

So after describing the job he went on to what i'd be getting paid. To be honest I was expecting £15k-£16k ($28k-30k), about £2k more than I get paid now. But no... wait for it... we're talking £19k standard + £3k shift allowance. That's £22k+ ($41.5)! OMFG I nearly had a heart attack. That would be a jump of £9k! :eek:

needless to say i've yet to have the formal interview, and I am by no means counting my chickens before they hatch. But I tell you this, 3 months ago they employed an 18-year old kid with no experience with computers and trained him up. This makes my prospects for an internal transfer (which companies love doing) very, very fricken likely. And my background with PC's also. :twisted:

Ladies and Gents, this could be the turning point of my life, and I mean that in all seriousness. It would let me become truly financially independant for the first time in my life, I would have expected to work for the next 5 years to get that kind of wage in my current position. Nice wage. Nice car. Chick kudos. I have the interview later this week and I will keep you all very much posted... keep your fingers crossed! :p

Certifications: None as yet...
    WIP: A+/MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's GREAT, Richdog! I know it's not in the bag, but they came to you so that's a good sign. This is a perfect example of being persistant and not being afraid of asking for what you want.

I'll stop short of saying "congratulations" until you actually get it, but I am really happy for you. We're all pullling for you, Richdog. Good luck! :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Richdog

Richdog Bit Poster

Thanks so much man, i'm glad you're rooting for me. Another thing he told me that not only is this job gooing, but there's one that is the exact same coming up a couple of weeks after, except it's not as shift-based, so presumable £2k or so less pay. However, that is TWO chances of getting the same job that I want. God must love me this year, he really must. Hey... I may even start believing in him! :D

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Rooting for you Rich :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Good luck mate, fingers crossed for you!!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Superb news, Rich - I really hope it works out for you, and I'd say that everything sounds like it's looking good for you so far ...

Do keep us posted, m8 - we love a success story around here ... :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Careful of what you wish for, you just may get it. It happened to me last month (dec) and now I'm swimming in so much IT work I don't know where to start.

The best of luck for the job. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Best of luck mate.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  9. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

All the best....

Stu_c

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  10. Richdog

Richdog Bit Poster

Well here's an update for you folks, got an interview on Friday at 10am.

*Crosses fingers and toes*. :D

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck, mate. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Best of luck mate [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

GO Rich :thumbleft

:biggrin

14. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

good luck m8 :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Good luck for Fri - all sounds extremely positive so far! :D

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  17. Richdog

Richdog Bit Poster

Well, keep everything crossed for me, interview today... :D

18. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

How did your interview go ?

19. Richdog

Richdog Bit Poster

Ahhh yes it went fine thanks, i'm quite optimistic! Had a good chat with the guys and they showed me round the place. Seems a varied job and they provide you with e-learning at work so you can get your certs free of charge during work-hours, YES!

I'm praying I get it, I really am. They don't want a graduate who will use them as a fast-track and stepping stone, they want someone untrained who they can nurture for a couple/few years.

Hell for £20k+ i'd bark like a dog if they ask me! Well, not quite but you get my gist... :D

I hear a decision in around two weeks...

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Great news again, Rich - here's hoping. Two weeks is a long time to wait to find out tho - did they say why so long ?