State of the Job Market

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 18, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Up to date view from Alex Farrell, MD of The IT Job Board :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHLFTKWKCsg

Useful to get a perspective.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

UKDarkstar you need to update that to say Alex Farrell, MD of the IT SPAM Board :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Why's that then ?

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The IT Job Board are truly awful, they continue to SPAM my mailbox with completely irrelevant crap at least four times a week.

Think I might even start charging them rent for the space they use!

I would rate them at the bottom of the pile behind Jobserve, cwjobs and reed.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I disagree. I know them well. I don't get any spam.

They are one of the larger IT only job boards and do a good job imho.

6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

She makes a good point about an upturn in jobs. I've noticed a slight increase in Support roles on CW Jobs, Jobsite and Jobserve. But being the doom-monger that I am, I have to report that one agent I was speaking to (for an SC Cleared role) told me that support jobs advertised via his agency are attracting over 100 applicants whereas this time last year they were CV harvesting! The tables have turned dramatically.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Regarding these 100 applicants to support jobs, did he elaborate on their suitability? I hope most of them had no experience and qualifications because it would give me a much better chance :)

I spent over 2 hours filling in an application form for an NHS job but never seem to get anywhere with them. I suppose it's because they are such a huge organisation, so maybe they get 100 x 10 applicants.

I was also told that I.T Managers are applying for I.T Support roles.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yes I am :ohmy

9. drum_dude

No he was getting at the fact that they no longer have to cold call people or search CVs - well they do but not as much. The point he was making was that they can pick and choose from the masses that are signing up with them. Hardest hit appears to be ex-contractors who are finding it difficult to obtain another contract in an IT Support capacity.

You can see the affect this is all having as wages to appear to be going down. From the many jobs emails I get from CW Jobs I'm now seeing cheeky adverts for support people at £7 to £9 an hour or £16k to £19k PA. Now I'm not referring to 1st or 2nd line work here, this is for 3rd Line? That kind of money is being offered for a requirment to have 3+ years experience, MCSE and CCNA. And yes, people will take that sort of money to get off JSA I would imagine.

That kind of money was fine and dandy a few years back but with rising food, utility and fuel costs falling wages are bad news.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

12. drum_dude

Well my manager got made redundant last week, shame as he was a good bloke!

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

for ever graduate suitable job there are 80 of us applying for it in the UK - its official we chose the worst time in history to graduate from uni. Whats puzzled me for a few months is the government offered to topup fees and we all skint now and unemployed to pay them back - what are they going to do - make us pay back in the end? :x

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  14. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Well you'll just never pay it back because you won't be earning above £15k...even if you do they don't automatically take it off you as they are supposed to.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  15. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I have to agree, I also get loads of spam messages and alot of the time it isnt even advertising a particular job. What recruitment/ job advertisement sites do you all use as i thought jobserve was pretty good.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP