Cisco CCNA Lab Advice

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by craigie, May 22, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cisco CCNA Lab.

I have found the following deal on eBay for £250.00 all in CCNA Lab

For anyone who has studied or is currently studying towards the CCNA, do you think this hardware would be suitable for me to use to pass? Any feedback would be appreciated.

It comes with the following:

Routers

Cisco 2610 Ethernet Serial Router 8F/32D Enhanced IP 12.3 IOS
    Cisco 2501 Ethernet Dual Serial Router 16F/16D IP Plus 12.3 IOS
    Cisco 2501 Ethernet Dual Serial Router 16F/16D IP Plus 12.3 IOS

Switches

Cisco 2900-XL Switch running Latest Enterprise IOS
    Cisco 2900-XL Switch running Latest Enterprise IOS

Accessories

2 x serial DB60-DB60 crossover cables
    3 x cat 5E straight-through cables
    3 x cat 5E crossover cables
    1 x RJ45 / DB9 console cables

Additional

Thoroughly tested before shipping
    Power cables for all devices
    Two cd-roms for CCNA CCNP CCIE CCSP CCDP etc
    Alternative or additional items available (ISDN simulation, extra switches, etc)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. MrShed

MrShed Bit Poster

IMHO - absolutely.

Just make sure you are getting the IOS and flash cards (where applicable) with the kit.

All you are really studying for CCNA is basic routing, switching and WAN (Frame Relay mainly) - this kit will be more than capable of some labs for these three topics.

Certifications: CCNA, ITIL Foundation, MCSA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP, MCSE
  3. MrShed

MrShed Bit Poster

Sorry - just read about the IOS being included - should be fine!

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cool, I was going to post a similar thread but now I dont need to. :biggrin

I have one Cisco 2600 router and might be able to get an 800 from the office with a PIX firewall. From what I understand, and what MrShed has confirmed, is that the CCNA only covers basic routing so looks like the firewall wont be needed.

Might "borrow" it anyway :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Bought the exact same one from those guys a couple months ago, all equipment in working order and shipped with everything stated. Some cosmetic damage to the equipment but nothing worth worrying about.

Get it!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. MrShed

MrShed Bit Poster

PIX definitely not required :)

In fact, I dont think you need a firewall even for CCNP.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ all adds to the fun though :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Correct - Firewall not required in CCNP (aside from ACL understanding).
    Also note, PIX is discontinued:
    end-of-sale announcement came in 2008
    end-of-support is July 27, 2013

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Seeing that am interested in IT networks and security firewall would have come in handy at a module or cert to attain.

Do you know if they'd be replacing PIX with something else or are they throwing in the towel on firewall products? Thanks in advance:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. MrShed

MrShed Bit Poster

Already replaced!! ASA products (Advanced Security Appliance)

12. MJN

MJN Bit Poster

Hi Craigie,

I bought that very same lab a year or so ago and can highly recommend it. I think it can cover everything on the CCNA bar setting up SSH access (the lack of which is no big deal, for the exams at least, as the theory is straightforward).

Very well packaged too - indeed I think I'm still using the bubble wrap and polystyrene chippings for my own eBay auctions even now!

Mathew

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Relaxing...
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Having spoken to Joe at CommSupport it's the same guy they use too - not always cheapest but good quality kit so gets a thumbs up all round.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

UKDarkstar, hows the course going? are you Birmingham, Manchester or London? Would you recommend it?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I'm looking to spend the cash to book on the course soon.

Thanks mate.

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Hi m8, I'm travelling each Sat to London (2-3 hr drive each way depending on traffic) It's very good but very intensive i.e. start aroud 8.30 am and finish anytime after 5pm. Short break for lunch - 20/30 mins (bring your own) and a few 5 min coffee breaks.

What I like is that in no way is it a bootcamp. It's a serious attempt to get you using the equipment and understanding how to deal with problems i.e. lots of lab work followed by break/fix. It obviously also aims to get you through the CCNA course.

Heavy concentration on subnetting too :rolleyes:

I've not worked with Cisco kit before and can't afford stuff for a home lab so am having to make do with things like packet tracer etc. but I think it's do-able. I'll probably take a couple of weeks after the course finishes before I sit the exam.

Joe has a good source of student material (accessed via a login) on the CommSupport site and has just added some excellent videos too.

I couldn't make the first Saturday but Joe fitted me in to the Sunday's six day course and then I reverted back to Saturdays with Mark Armstrong. He and Joe have dfferent styles but both have an excellent enthusiasm for their courses which comes across to students.

Excellent value for money too so I can't say other than it's highly recommended. Just wish they had a place a bit closer to me ! At my age the travel is taking it's toll and I'm usually knackered on Sundays !

PM me if anyone wants more details and a big thanks to Joe if he reads this.

16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks UKDarkstar, awesome feedback.

You have put my mind at rest, think I will be booking the course at the end of this month.

Rep left :D

17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I think they've got some offers on at the moment too m8, don't miss out !

18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Been digging around and it seems Cisco have a second shot promotion called Come Back 2009 linky

19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Cheers m8, knew it was out there somewhere just hadn't been able to find it !

20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

[​IMG]

For future reference.