Suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arunram, May 17, 2009.

1. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

Hello all,
    I wanna establish myself in MCSE .I got a job as a system administrator in a firm that too in this recession period...actually my role is to manage the server and hardware etc..They are a academy which provides ERP training to corporate people...My job role is to ensure that their systems are up and running properly and also during my training period, they would train me on ERP (Dynamics AX) in turn i have to train the corporates...Is it ok? Will it affect my Career what am i looking for?
    Another thing is that i have to sign a bond for 2yrs and i have to submit my degree certificates too...is it advisable to do so? pl i need ur suggestions....

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

12 views and no reply?

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

well bots rarely respond to threads.

patience is a virtue... thats the best advice i can give you :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you don't mind me saying you seem very unsure in your chosen career. Looking back over your previous posts you seem to jump around various certs looking for an answer for what to do for the rest of your working life. You also frequently comment when you don't get replies - please, give us a chance ! Quite often I will view a post but not answer straight away.

As you come across as so unsettled I would suggest that your best course of action is to "suck it and see" - you're in a job working with servers etc. so why not give it a year or 18 months and see how you like it. If you're under pressure from the employer then yes, by all means, sit exams if they're paying. You may decide later that you prefer particular aspects of IT and diversify off into those but at least give it time to sample the wide variety of things that are available.

If you want to get a broad overview then you could consider entry level studies in a variety of things to give you a flavour of them e.g. ITIL Foundation, PRINCE2 Foundation or some of the ISEB exams in various areas (see here). At least that way you might be able to consider how you want your career to develop.

Give yourself a bit of time to settle is my advice :)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not all views are human, some are done by web bots :rolleyes:

First of all, what experience do you have?

Judging by what you've described, I would say concentrate on the MCSA first of all and then see how you go, if that is your job role. However...

Managing the servers and hardware, is it related to their systems or is it related to you giving training. If it's for their live systems, I would say still go for the MCSA. If it's for the training (eg dummy systems) then put the MCSA aside and concentrate on the Dynamics AX training, get yourself some sort of teaching/trainer qualification so that you can do that job properly. Then branch out.

Each company is different, there are some places that ask you to sign anywhere from 0 months to 2 years to say that if you leave within that time, you will have to pay back any costs accrued by them giving you the training.

If you have to give them a copy of your qualifications, I can't see a reason why not to (unless they are a dodgy company). I would not give them the originals though, as they are yours.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

actually many of my previous posts are for my friends and not for me....

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can always ask your friends to register :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

actually i am certified in xp and server 2003 i.e 2 out of 7 papers of MCSE ....

9. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

i have to ensure that their systems are up and running and also i have to train them. what i have learnt in dynamics from my trainer...2 in 1:)