Funding For Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jon2k24, May 7, 2009.

1. jon2k24

jon2k24 New Member

I have recently started the MCSA on the Microsoft website, and i am finding it impossible to study using this method. I looked around for tutor led courses for the same certification and they were completely out of my price range. I am currently in the process of applying for any and all trainee job within the it support sector, and any other sector in order to fund these courses
    Any advice.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have you thought about ringing round all your local colleges to see if they do MS courses? Those that do offer the courses at a cheaper rate than alot of private training companies.

You don't mention your age or previous qualifications - depending on them, if you do get an entry level IT position, Apprenticeships/NVQ 2 & 3 may be available to you. Most NVQ programs in IT Support integrate a couple of professional certifications, so a saving for you :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Approved posts, so that the OP could see your reply Ken :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

MCSA is considered quite a high up qualification in the scheme of things. Have a little look at the CompTIA website for A+ and N+ http://www.comptia.org/ these would be considered a more suitable intoduction into IT. Alternatively look at the MCDST from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx. Having a higher level cert without experience to back it up is often frowned upon in the IT industry

You can buy books from Amazon to help you self study then book your exams yourself on www.prometric.com

I've done home study when I passed my two MS exams so I recommend it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Funding - yes, well, very little money around to help you out I'm afraid as those of us who are unemployed will tell you.

However, some options may be :

• Find an employer willing to pay/sponsor you
    • Depending on your age and circumstances there may be schemes available - try searching the Jobcentre site at www.jobcentreplus.gov.co.uk
    • I have been advised recently by a contact that Pitman Training that some funding is available for A+ and N+ as part of an MCSA course via Train to Gain - look into that
    • Speak to LearnDirect to see if they have any help/advice for you
    • You could consider a Career Development Loan - these are special loans funded by one or two banks for recognised training courses. Many training providers (TPs) will offer you this as a solution BUT realise that not all TPs are good (see various posts here about the main ones that advertise) and also remember this is a loan which charges interest so it is not necessarily the cheapest option and can run for a number of years. They do also credit score you but this is not given as much weighting as a "normal" loan application
    • There are also a number of private charitable trusts and individuals that *may* be able to help. The Funding Directory database can be accessed here though I would say you need advice from someone on who to apply to
    • You may also find it helpful (depending again on your age and circumstances) to speak to someone at "NextStep" depending on what they are doing in your area. Main website can be found here

That should be enough to keep you going ! Do reconisder self study. I know this is difficult for some (me included) but it does drastically cut the cost. If you're struggling with just learning from books then ask us as we can recommned all sorts of alternatives such as video based etc.

Good luck ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

I found this document on the comptia website entitled Funding Document. Most of it will be irelevant as it is aimed predominatly towards academic insitiutions looking to teach A+, but there may be some releavnt information...

itskillsguy

edit - just found a train to gain doc for Training providers too...

Attached Files: