Which One??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dpatel, Mar 28, 2009.

1. dpatel

dpatel New Member

I am have a degree in IT but have not used it thus far. Im looking to get into IT due to the stability of an IT Career oppose to what i have been doing. I am unsure of whats right for me. My background employment is of a retail management so what do you think would suit me as a career.

I have looked at various roles im definetely ruling out programming.

What do you think guys/girls??
    DBA
    Support roles

Also what will i need to study to get into the roles u suggest??

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you have a degree in IT why aren't you in IT already? What sort of degree is it?

The sort of things that would suit you are very much what interests you. As we don't know much about you it is very hard to advise!

If you don't want to do programming then I would have thought that would rule out being a DBA, as that frequently involves programming.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Glad you ruled out programming then ! There were some pretty bad spots around Y2K and during the dot.com crash. It has its ups and downs also, don't believe everything you read in the press !

Support can be more secure, but you could get stuck supporting a legacy system, this can mean job security for 10 years and then you're totally unemployable because you have obsolete skills.

I'm a little baffled you managed to get though an entire degree without managing to figure out what you like about IT ? Also as harry mentions, why would you learn a subject and then abandon it in favour of a totally different career ?

Many of the old style definitions of IT careers are changing, the full-time DBA is becomming a very rare breed. Most DBA's these days perform a mix of duties, consultancy, design, programming, architecture, infrastructure, support etc.
    Some are now termed Business Inteligence developers, Database developers, Systems Administrators, Data Architects, EDI consultants, ETL developer etc.

4. daveenigma

daveenigma New Member

I started off in help desk support after my degree. 1st/2nd line with some desktop support then spent 3 years in Oracle Application Support. In my experience it was a struggle to be given a chance to start with, I either 'lacked experience' or was deemed 'over qualified' for most roles. So the help desk role was a life saver and got me the experience I needed to progress. Progression at the time also came down to what opportunities were available too me more than where I wanted to go. Now I'm in the situation where I've got a fairly niche skill set and I'm looking to retrain...