1721 for CCNA - OK?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

This Router on ebay has made me think:

Ok they say its for CCNA labs.. but will it do the job? I dont see why not? Whats the disadvantages of this router over a 2600 series? If i throw in a WIC-2t and an Ethernet port.. it has 12.3 on it (enough for CCNA apparently) surely this will perform all i need it to do?

Also how many WICs and ethernet ports do i require on each router?

Thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:rolleyes:bump:rolleyes:

where have all the cisco gurus gone? :cry:

3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Zimbo, I'm not sure exactly what you need as this is on my todo list for later this year.

However, I was thinking about buying this stuff from Comm Support for £210 + VAT.

Routers

- Cisco 2610 Ethernet port and 1 x Serial - Router IP 12.3 IOS
    - Cisco 2610 Ethernet port and 1 x Serial - Router IP 12.3 IOS

Switches

- Cisco 2900-XL Switch running Latest Enterprise IOS
    - Cisco 2900-XL Switch running Latest Enterprise IOS

Accessories

1 x serial DB60-DB60 crossover cable
    2 x cat 5E straight-through cables
    2 x cat 5E crossover cables
    1 x RJ45 / DB9 console cable
    4 x Power Cables

[​IMG]

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

For what it's worth, I've used the Cisco 1721 router in my CCNP: Building Scalable Internetworks v5.0 course in the Cisco Networking Academy. As the course name suggests, the course prepares the student towards the 642-901 BSCI (Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks) exam which is a CCNP, CCIP, and CCDP certification exam requirement which is higher than the CCNA certification so you should be ok with the Cisco 1721 for CCNA level studies.

One main difference is that some of the Cisco 2600 series routers have reached End of Sale status whereas the Cisco 1721 has not.

IIRC, the Cisco 1721 has fixed Fast Ethernet ports on board the chassis. The Cisco 1721 has two WAN Interface Card (WIC) slots so you can put as many WICs into the Cisco 1721 as you want. The Cisco 1721 that I've used had at least one WIC with two high speed asynchronous/synchronous serial ports. It'll be your homework after purchasing all this equipment what the Cisco IOS syntax to refer to the serial interfaces relative to the physical ports.

Did this post help?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

In other words it will do all i need to do? As i said i got a 2620 and 2611 already...

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Mate i think thats too pricey.. you only getting a ethernet port and a single WIC-1T and the switches are old.. i just bought a 2611 for £27 with P&P (2 ethernets but no WIC) then the 2620 i got with a WIC cost me 30 with delivery and that has a WIC-1t and running 12.4 IOS

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If its OK with you Zimbo, when I'm ready to start thinking about Cisco CCENT/CCNA stuff I'll shoot you a PM to find out what stuff to buy,

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im actually thinking to write a whole book on it!! there is very little information out there on this :( its a shame we used to have some good cisco gurus on here... it seems they disappeared! but sure.. i think just stay away from these deals.. pick and mix! Infact try these out on ebay:

1. Change the search so it can search the whole EU - sometimes you pick up bargins from germany and holland

2. cisco 26** cisco 17** and cisco 29** as your key words

3. Try get routers with either 2 ethernet ports or a WIC included.. stay away from ones that offer just a plain ethernet port - you will need to pay more for the WIC and NM cards

4. 12.2 - 12.3 should be your base - 12.2 now can handle 802.1q trunking on normal ethernet ports (not fast ethernet)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've always been bad about speccing out lab equipment, particularly when the models and exams and IOS versions change as often as they do! In truth, that'll make updating the book pretty difficult. Worthwhile, though, if you've got the time to invest in writing it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

why? everytime exams change a new book comes out.. we still using older kit for studying so the book would have long life span. :biggrin

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

That would completely depend on the Cisco IOS version that is on that Cisco 1721 router.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well assuming its running 12.2 or 12.3

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

there was one more question i wanted to ask.. how important is it to have more than one Ethernet interface per router? do you really need 2?

14. BosonMichael

Yeah, but versions and IOS models are more of a moving target. Cisco can change the specs mid-exam cycle, anytime they want.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

...that said, the latest version is 12.4. See what I mean about that moving target?? ;)